PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maverick alpha 3...

Moozillaaa
January 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM
This is the version that came in the magazine ... , and that's the name of the ISO. I prefer to burn this image, rather than one that I might download, since that can be shaky sometimes.

Good? Bad? Flip a coin?

Comments?

howefield
January 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
What are you asking ?

You'll download as much and more in updates if you use Alpha 3 and then update to current status.

I'd go for a nice fresh download of the finished release :)

ajgreeny
January 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Or scout around the PC magazines in your local shops. Even the mainly windows mags very often have a linux iso on their DVDs, and if they do, more often than not it is ubuntu.

IWantFroyo
January 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM
The Alpha is unstable. You need the current version. Whether from a technology magazine shop or the Internet. If it's internet security you're worried about, I can vouch for the ubuntu.com download. I've used it a bunch of times.

Moozillaaa
January 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
The Alpha is unstable. You need the current version. Whether from a technology magazine shop or the Internet. If it's internet security you're worried about, I can vouch for the ubuntu.com download. I've used it a bunch of times.

I think this is the answer to my question here - thanks...

Security isn't the problem, but getting a good download IS. I think I have a bad ISP, because I always have problems keeping a continuous stream.

Speed usually stays near 188kbs, but frequent 'stops' cause problems. Although I did once get a perfect continuous download for Hardy, WITH a CLI window open, running a 'ping' command of the canonical server IP.

I don't know if it was co-incident or not about the pinging, but now that seems to help keep web radio streaming better too???

cascade9
January 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
If you've got a dodgy connection, use a torrent. That way even if you are totally disconnected, you still havent lost any of the d/led data.

Moozillaaa
January 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If you've got a dodgy connection, use a torrent. That way even if you are totally disconnected, you still havent lost any of the d/led data.

That's good info too - thanks there...

(hope you're not gettin' too much water there cascade)

cascade9
January 27th, 2011, 05:18 AM
That's good info too - thanks there...

(hope you're not gettin' too much water there cascade)

No problem. I d/led several linux distro .isos on torrent clients when I was on dialup, because it was the only way to be able to get them.

As for the floods, I didnt have a problem. Thankfully ;)

Moozillaaa
January 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The Alpha is unstable. ...

Yup - sure is unstable... (not your first day huh http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/images/smilies/thumbs_up_smiley.gif )

I loaded it, then checked screen resolution, System/Preferences/Monitors/Boom (lockup w/ black screen)

Today I tried again, and it brought up the screen resolution window, with proper monitor identification. So far, no problems just browsing. And that's the first time that any Linux has ID'd the monitor - maybe because I'm shooting through a cheap UNpowered KVM switch???

So now my question is; Whatever makes it unstable, as an early release - will those faults get fixed in updating process?