PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mythbuntu 9.04 cant login

realwildman
January 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I posted this the other day. Just thought that made it would get more attention here.

http://newyork.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1672472

HI

I have been running a mythbuntu 8.1 for almost 2 years now. I finilly decided to do a distr.-upgrade. I used the distr.-upgrade tool in X to install the upgrade. On reboot everything was working fine. I then did an update and a reboot. Now I get nothing that I can read. no bios splash, no grub, no x login, just horizotil black lines that keep flashing on screen. I tryed to hit control-alt-f2 and nothing changes. I hit the numlock and the numlock light does not come on. It seems like the system is not even running.

Now the kicker. If I telnet into the machine it is running. I can access mythweb from another computer. It is still recoding and trascoding. It is running. But I can't just into login to it locally.

I setup up gdm to autologin but it does not start x. I have a vnc server that is not acsessable.

Motherboard asus m2n-x
AMD athlon x2 3800
1gb ram
1tb drive
ati video card
2 pvr-150
1 pvr-500

mörgæs
January 26th, 2011, 07:43 AM
9.04 is an obsolete release, so you should upgrade at least once more to 9.10, which might be a lot of hassle, since the system is unstable.

I would rather go for a clean install of 10.04 or 10.10.