PDA

View Full Version : Will you switch to GRUMPY before hoary final is there?

tim1
February 23rd, 2005, 11:15 PM
According to the release schedule, the Grumpy Groundhog (the version after hoary) process starts on March 14th, before the hoary final release.

I think I'll wait for hoary final and enjoy some days of a really stable desktop. Then I'll switch to hoary. It somehow makes me crazy to know that there is a new version available (stable or not) and I don't use it.

To all hoary users: have you had enough bad experiences during the hoary process or do you like the bleeding edge more than a stable environment?

greets, tim

jdodson
February 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
According to the release schedule, the Grumpy Groundhog (the version after hoary) process starts on March 14th, before the hoary final release.

I think I'll wait for hoary final and enjoy some days of a really stable desktop. Then I'll switch to hoary. It somehow makes me crazy to know that there is a new version available (stable or not) and I don't use it.

To all hoary users: have you had enough bad experiences during the hoary process or do you like the bleeding edge more than a stable environment?

greets, tim

since hoary is at a feature freeze and will be at a preview freeze tommorow. it is stabalizing very well already. i downloaded the array #5 iso and put it on a test machine and was really surprised with how stable it really was. array #6 comes out tommorow too fwiw.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryReleaseSchedule

Ste
February 24th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I would be xorg scares me. Radeon 9200 will I need to hack the drivers to enable 3d support for gaming ? It's the ONLY thing stopping me.

Don't want to mess up this install as everything bar transcode (but I have mencoder) works.

Ste.

But yes Hoary does seem stable.

tim1
February 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I just fixed a very annoying typo in the topic. I was actually talking about _grumpy_ not hoary. Now it makes a lot more sense I think.

@Ste:
I have a Radeon 9800 up and running, which uses the sam driver (fglrx) IIRC. There is an extra package available for x.org called 'xorg-driver-fglrx'

greets, tim

jdodson
February 24th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I would be xorg scares me. Radeon 9200 will I need to hack the drivers to enable 3d support for gaming ? It's the ONLY thing stopping me.

Don't want to mess up this install as everything bar transcode (but I have mencoder) works.

Ste.

But yes Hoary does seem stable.

hoary packages the latest xorg ati proprietary drivers available in universe to download. it seems people are using them with little problems, however mileage always varies.

neighborlee
February 24th, 2005, 01:29 AM

greets, tim
----------
I installed yesterday and immediately removed it for the more stable warty. I had crashes where i'd definitey not expect it( while just trying to install ut2k4 and trying to mount the CD ), although overall its very slick and I'm eager to try the stable release. I def. think the update notifier is a VERY nice addition and I applaud the team for doing it.

for now Ill stick to stable warty then when I get another HD ill put on hoary or whatever is in development <G>

cu
nl

Quest-Master
February 24th, 2005, 02:32 AM
I'll probably dist-upgrade as soon as the preview release is made. Should be stable enough to support me by then. :)

Ironi
February 24th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Hoary is rather boring compared to Debian unstable. Well, if you're a KDE user anyways. Oh well. :)

KiwiNZ
February 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I am currently using Hoary as Warty would not install on my new machine. But hmm notwithstanding that it is a test version ,it is a tad buggy .
I will probably blow it away this weekend . Been wanting to give Suse 9.2 a few laps around the block.

tim1
February 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I just fixed a very annoying typo in the topic. I was actually talking about _grumpy_ not hoary. Now it makes a lot more sense I think.

I just realized that I can't change the title of a thread after posting it, that is very annoying. Is there a specific reason for that?

greets, tim

jdong
February 24th, 2005, 10:56 PM
It's stupidity on vbulletin's behalf. I'll see what I can do for you :)

jdong
February 24th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Ok, moving it somewhere else then back lets me rename -- fixed :)

paul cooke
February 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM

greets, tim

Only if there's a real killer app or version upgrade that I have to have... now that OOo2 is in Hoary and so is Amarok latest, then there won't actually be much reason. KDE 3.4 maybe... but I'll use a single testing box to keep up rather than most of my boxes as currently. When Hoary final is official, then and only then is my last non-ubuntu box getting upgraded. That's a server running Mandrake 9.2 currently with some 230 days uptime...

kahping
February 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
i'd stick to hoary for a while first, wait for grumpy to become a bit more before trying it out.

i would love to live on the bleeding edge, but as it is, i'm no gnu/linux expert, so i think i'd only try out grumpy when it's 1 - 2 months before release; safer that way :p

kahping

ThePainter
February 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Hi,
I dist upgraded yesterday and it booted OK but I had no mouse or keyboard and had to pull the plug to get out.
I then formatted and reinstalled Warty.
I think Ill wait for the Grumpy release before installing Hoary.

I know Im boring and non-adventurous but thats because Im unlucky and jinxed ](*,)

I need some stability in my life :|

jdodson
February 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,
I dist upgraded yesterday and it booted OK but I had no mouse or keyboard and had to pull the plug to get out.
I then formatted and reinstalled Warty.
I think Ill wait for the Grumpy release before installing Hoary.

I know Im boring and non-adventurous but thats because Im unlucky and jinxed ](*,)

I need some stability in my life :|

i installed hoary last night and upgraded to the latest packages then rebooted and had no problems(on a test box). i think i might install hoary on my main machine for the preview release if my test machine keeps rockin.

Domhnull
February 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Hoary has been a great upgrade from Warty. I'll probably wait awhile before I bother going to Grumpy. At least until I see some great feature that I just can't wait for :)

VaDor
February 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I think , I never used warty lol . I always used Hoary and i'm very happy with it sometimes, when new packages arrived we could had some problems. Now that is very unlikely, maybe because it's near to be the next stable version. For me is stable and works very very well. I have a centrino 1,6 with radeon 9700 and yes I have 3d aceleration, I had no problems doing that.

When grumpy appears I will imediatly switch do grumpy, but that is because I like to be on the bleeding edge.

ps: I have a server running hoary and it's very stable!

vador@Corbin:~ $ uptime
18:24:36 up 11 days, 1:39, 2 users, load average: 0.35, 0.27, 0.27

N0t to much days because i had a power off :-P

Cya

zenrox
February 27th, 2005, 07:59 PM
my warty server will get upgraded to hoary once its gold
my main box will stick with hoary till grumpy is a little more used

allans
February 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I've been using hoary and can say I've found it very stable, maybe I just got lucky. Infact, warty stable didn't work for me due to xfree86 problems with my graphics card so an upgrade to hoary and xorg actually made my system more usable lol. Will definately be giving grumpy a go asap.

TravisNewman
February 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'll probably switch as soon as the repositories open, or at least when the modular Xorg hits ;)

mark
February 28th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Probably not. I've been running Hoary an increasing amount of time, since Array 3.5 or so. I still have my stable Warty installation I can boot to, if something in Hoary breaks really bad. I anticipate the same kind of delay with Grumpy. Hey, I'm as adventurous as the next person - but, as Robert DeNiro said in Ronin, "Lady, I never walk into a place I don't know how to get out of...".

totalshredder
February 28th, 2005, 08:58 PM
For now I'm waiting untill the final release. I switched over to horay and it completely messed my computer up (eg, when I log in the mouse stops moving after a few seconds, and gnome barely ever works, ane more :-) ). I really liked horay though, it is leaps and bounds ahead of warty, and I'll be switching over to it immediately after the final is released.

Grumpy Groundhog.... hopefully I'll be good enough at linux then to take it on from an early release... for now I'm not good enough at the terminal.

Later boys
Luke

MetalMusicAddict
March 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Im lookin forward to the release and hope its as good as the hype. Warty runs great for me. Becides xorg what are some of the other great features in Horay? I am lookin forward to REAL transparency. ;)

zorba64
March 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM
I would like to use "Hoary" for at least a month after it is released, before dist-upgrading to "Grumpy"

But, it will probably only be a week or two. Just gotta play with the "new" stuff.

Michael

Ozitraveller
March 10th, 2005, 06:32 AM
When the repositories open, I'm there! Can't wait !!!

poofyhairguy
March 10th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I'll switch, but only for my laptop. Hopefully the laptop support will continue to get better.

shimon
March 10th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Grumpy is a devel branch (like sid)
Bendy will after hoary

I upgraded to hoary the second the debian merge was finished... so i guess you know my answer....

Also if you knew me back when I was using debian i would be using experiMENTAL

paul cooke
March 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I will move one machine to Bendy, leave this one on Hoary, and move my other two non-Ubuntu machines from Mandrake 9.2 & 10.1 to Hoary...

Actually, it's hard to think of what improvements there can be for Bendy over Hoary... apart from getting minor niggles out of the way and completing the "branding" process. The main improvements will most likely be on the KDE side where they've got to thrash out a lot of things still.

I'm expecting XFCE 4.2 to get into Bendy Universe as it hasn't appeared yet in Hoary.

What I would like to see would be an Ubuntu "Lite" sub-project to bring the benefits of Ubuntu to those who lack the grunt power to run Gnome. ie. include a "branded" Icewm or Fluxbox on the main install CD and add a boot option to install it instead of Gnome. Currently, there's only Gnome or stripped down no Gui at all, and to add stuff requires a good net connection.