PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Show all windows same type.

jagrock
January 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hello all!

I have a question about the window manager...

How can I show the same type windows without clic one by one?

In mac os x, when i have 2 or 3 or more windows of same type, I can see all of them by clicking with the command key in the dock, and it shows all the related windows.

I was searching in compiz options, but did not found.

Is there an option to do this with cairo dock, avant or something?

Regards.

Krytarik
January 26th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I've just today tried all popular docks.

Cairo is much too hardware-hungry, and overly effectfull by default. May work good if you have a really fast, pretty decent machine.

Avant Window Manager (AWN) doesn't work for me currently, can't select items in the grouped window picker, looses focus before I can click it, depends on the autofocus setting in Compiz. Otherwise it's imo the best of the docks. Good balance between graphical effects and hardware resources load.

Docky is a too spartanic, blocks the space where it is located, instead of laying above the windows, like the other docks do, unless you activate autohide, and you have to right-click on the items to get the group window list, and window preview isn't even in it's options.

DockbarX is imo the best choice if you just want a panel applet which resembles the main functions of the above mentioned docks, which is: combined launcher and task item, grouping of windows, and possibly windows previews. DockbarX is fast and you can have window previews.

Make your choice, a feedback would be nice!