PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NOMODESET - making it permanent

smudgy
January 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Is there any way of making nomodeset permanent one has to reinstall? :?:

I know at least 1 distro has an etc/sysconfing/kernel file you can edit to make the value NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes

then mkinitrd makes nomodeset permanent

Otherwise its a real bind to have to keep burrowing into the grub2 menu each time to make sure it loads.. :>(

drs305
January 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Otherwise its a real bind to have to keep burrowing into the grub2 menu each time to make sure it loads.. :>(

Have you added nomodeset to the kernel options in /etc/default/grub ?

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

It's still a 'per session' setting but you only have to set it once and then run update-grub to make it take effect on each boot.

smudgy
January 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Have you added nomodeset to the kernel options in /etc/default/grub ?

It's still a 'per session' setting but you only have to set it once and then run update-grub to make it take effect on each boot.

Thanks drs it worked a treat (educational also). Added parameters for nomodeset xdriver=radeon etc

Now all I have to figure out is how to use traditional ifup instead of Network Manager... Until then I can't use suspend/hibernate without rebooting Ubuntu ... I know from openSUSE that using traditional ifup works and all I have to do there is ifdown then ifup with a couple of launchers and then my internet is back. But in Ubuntu its not obvious how to do the same thing (suse have a yast tool with the same name as network tools but with functionality to effect change to traditional ifup and dismantle Network Managers grip on the network.

Any ideas welcome ;)

(Then if I get there the icing on the cake would be to know how to add similar hooks to the suspend and resume scripts to execute sudo /sbin/ifdown eth0 and the reverse for resume).

wildmanne39
April 1st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.