PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Umbuntu does not read secondary ide's?

ulao
January 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have the flowing

Primary
IDE 1: WD
IDE 2: quantum
secondary:
IDE 1: maxstore
IDE 2: maxstore

So its either maxstore drives or the second IDE it wont see. When I get to the partitionier it has the option to take over the entire drive with a drop down of two choices. These two are my primary IDE drives.

Why would linux not see my other two?

Mark Phelps
January 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
As far as I recall, you can only have one Primary and one Secondary connected to the same IDE cable/motherboard jack.

So, do you have two jacks on your motherboard? Or is the second set of drivers connected to an add-in controller card?

If it's the second, my guess would be that the Ubuntu installer doesn't have the driver needed to see the add-in card.

If it's the first, sorry, don't have a solution as I've not encountered that problem.

nogoodnamesleft
January 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM
check drive jumpers

1 master, 1 slave on each cable

this used to happen to me a lot in the dark days of IDE

basically you have 2 plugs, 1 cable on each and 2 drives on each cable - thats fien if the jumpers are correct - not every autodetect works, manually set master and slave

I have the flowing

Primary
IDE 1: WD
IDE 2: quantum
secondary:
IDE 1: maxstore
IDE 2: maxstore

So its either maxstore drives or the second IDE it wont see. When I get to the partitionier it has the option to take over the entire drive with a drop down of two choices. These two are my primary IDE drives.

Why would linux not see my other two?

ulao
January 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah its a jumper issue. Those maxtors are weird with jumper. I guess windows does not ge effected by crappy hardware like linux does. The Maxtors only have a j50 Mater on, slave off. And yeah one is master one is slave.

I ended up rearranging the drives and installing the grub to the partition. That worked.

Mark Phelps, I think you're just young. Most boards to day don't give you both ports but all IBM/clone atx MB's have the ability to use two IDE ports. Pre 2000 just about all had both.

Mark Phelps
January 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Mark Phelps, I think you're just young.
Thanks for the compliment.

Most boards to day don't give you both ports but all IBM/clone atx MB's have the ability to use two IDE ports. Pre 2000 just about all had both.

I know that nearly all recent boards include only ONE IDE connector -- which is WHY I made the comment about an add-in controller card.

nogoodnamesleft
January 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Mark Phelps, I think you're just young. Most boards to day don't give you both ports but all IBM/clone atx MB's have the ability to use two IDE ports. Pre 2000 just about all had both.

EDIT - I was going to have a go at him here as the first PCs had no hard drives at all, then I noticed he said ATX.

BTW - In my opinion, a secondary controller would the other cable on an old machine. That's why I knew it was jumpers. "Secondary IDE" was what it was called in the BIOS in those days, and the BIOS would not see a plug-in (unless it was onboard, in which case it would be called something else, like a Host RAID).