PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Disastrous 10.10 upgrade. What can be done?

mahaganapati
January 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I just tried to update from kubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 this morning. The process began without incident, but after a short while everything got stuck on "preparing to install libgtk2 ..." . After a few hours (still stuck on this message) i decided to abort the upgrade process. Big mistake. Now the machine won't boot. After the grub loader I am just stuck with a black screen.

Is there any solution to this apart from a complete reinstall?

Is there any way I can salvage anything from my machine?

Thanks

TBABill
January 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
First I would try the LiveCD from when you installed Kubuntu 10.04. Run that and mount the drive to see if you can recover your data files. Since you did a partial install the system may not run correctly, but the files that were not part of the system and those not being upgraded may well be intact for recovery.

As far as getting it to boot, I don't know of any fixes when a mid-install termination takes place. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some ideas on that end. As far as I know a new install is the only fix. Much quicker too and if you get all your files safely off the drive it's probably the safest method of getting the system back.

mahaganapati
January 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks, TBABill. I have created a bootable USB and saved most of my stuff. Right now I am in the middle of trying oldfred's method from here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9421957&postcount=6

so far it looks pretty good, and I am hopeful that everything will be allright. Quite a scare initially, though.

/m