PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default sans font?

khughitt
January 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what fonts "sans", etc map to. After reading this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=652269)
I was able to find /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf which specifies:

<alias>
<family>sans-serif</family>
<prefer>
<family>DejaVu Sans</family>
<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
<family>Verdana</family>
<family>Arial</family>
<family>Albany AMT</family>
<family>Luxi Sans</family>
<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
<family>Helvetica</family>
<family>Lucida Sans Unicode</family>
<family>BPG Glaho International</family> <!-- lat,cyr,arab,geor -->
<family>Tahoma</family> <!-- lat,cyr,greek,heb,arab,thai -->
</prefer>
</alias>

So it looks like "DejaVu Sans" is the preferred font family when "sans" is specified. There are many different styles of DejaVu Sans, however, such as "extra light", "condensed", etc. I tried to find a definition of where the DejaVu Sans family is defined, but have not had any luck.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome now, and I know the default fonts have changed in 10.10, but I imagine the basic method for mapping fonts is still the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

pascaltch
January 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
hello,

for be frank, i haven't any clue for your problem but i have seen my question just below than your question and i waiting an answer me too , it's first time for me to ask a question under licence by-nc-nd !
what is your licence cc by , cc-nc .....?
sincerely

miklcct
January 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I tried using Kubuntu 10.10 and found that the 'default' font had been changed to 'Ubuntu'. However, when I studied these configuration files, I found no difference. After that, I played with System Settings and clicked the "Default" button under the font settings, it reverts to Sans Serif. After that, I was surprised that the 'default' font was changed by a nasty inclusion to the kubuntu-default-settings folder in some configuration file.