PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with finding ubuntu kernal file name for manual grub install into boot sector

ProphitOftheDamned
January 25th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Hello, I'm a complete newb face when it comes to Linux distro's overall, but I've always wanted to start becoming a linux head and learn about terminal scripting within ubuntu... I know all of the added advantages and what not when it comes to added security and system integrity and many other advantages... so all in all I'm ready to give Ubuntu a test run here...

I've been pushed into installing Ubuntu 10.10 64, mainly due to I/0 hardware not being recongnized in windows most likely due to software issues... ](*,)

in other words my Opitcal drive is not recongized at the IDE data channel....

so I cannot install linux with an optical drive of course, nor do I have a flash drive to use....

so I'm attempting to manually uploading the system kernal and file directories and GRUB into my boot loader...

but I cannot locate Ubuntu Kernal file along with Ubuntu ram_disk directories within the ISO image in order to extract the apprpriate files to the boot loader file in windows to override NTDLR....

is there any way that I might be able to get som assistance with finding out which files I need to extract from the ISO in order to do this??

I'm trying to run Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit... What I believe I need is the Kernal file and the Ram_Disk file where GRUB is located...

has anyone ever manually installed Linux into an OS bootloader before?