PDA

View Full Version : Why Linux doesn't have a decent archive manager ?

sadaruwan12
January 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hi good people,

I had some problem recently with some compression formats so I've to go on a cyber crusade to find a good archive manger which will handle multiple compression formats including .rar and ace.

I know there are ways to get the built in archive handler to get things working but I think for each and every format do a user have to configure his/her OS come on thats pointless.

What I want to say is that now I'm a cross platform guy who users win0d0ws at work and mostly linux on all my other PC's Ive found lot of alternatives to my PC platform programs and the linux variant was much more powerful and versatile. But when it comes archive handling linux hit's a stone wall OK, you guys can suggest p7zip good software but for my knowledge there no GUI.

Now there some very nice freeware archive handler that have been zeroed on widows. Two archive handlers that I've used and loved is Izarc (http://www.izarc.org/) and the other one is ZipGenius (http://www.zipgenius.com/) both of these are free but the problem is there only programed for windows. I'm not a programing genius who can cook up some thing as I wish so I'm pleading the community to take the initiative to create a kick *** software for archive handling.

For a example there are two very good BT clients in the linux community one Deluge the uTorrent of the nix world and the qBitorrent a path finder with QT both are very good and competitive but when it comes to archiving we're way behind. This might just my problem but this might be your tomorrow if some out there starts a good project I think there will be lot of support 'cos there are lot of people who are willing to help a good product.

Before I end this I've to say sorry for posting this here I want to community cafe but it's down so I thought to post it here. If mod wants to move it I'm OK with it but the community need to see this and think about it.

Thank you to every one who read this and please drop a reply I like to see your thoughts about this as well.