PDA

View Full Version : Linux saves the government money

YourSurrogateGod
April 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Red Hat (NASDAQ: RHAT), the world's leading provider of open source to the enterprise, today announced that the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) saved the federal government more than $15 million in datacenter operating and upgrading costs by migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The FAA executed a major systems migration to Red Hat Enterprise Linux in one-third of the original scheduled time and with 30 percent more operational efficiency than the previous system. In addition, by switching to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the FAA realized 50 percent savings and spent less than $10 million on a project initially estimated at $25 million.

The FAA accommodates more than two million passengers on domestic airlines every day. With roughly 8,000 airplanes in the air at any given time, the successful execution of the FAA's mission largely depends on the highly complex Traffic Flow Management (TFM) infrastructure and its real-time Enhanced Traffic Management System (ETMS). When the administration embarked on a technical refresh effort for the TFM and ETMS, the FAA faced significant implementation time along with a high price tag.

"There is no room for error or down time in our systems," said Joshua Gustin, TFM-Modernization program manager, FAA. "When we first considered refreshing our entire system, we were looking at $25 million in costs and 18 months to full deployment. By switching to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, we were able to spend less than $10 million and accomplish a major system modernization in one-third that time. Red Hat Enterprise Linux fixed our problems of reliability and scalability, and gives us the support we need to reduce our risk."

-snip-

http://www.alphatradefn.com/story/2006-04-26/BIZ/200604260800BIZWIRE_USPR_____BW5201.html

Now lets hope that those saved millions don't get pissed away befo... too late.

prizrak
April 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I know I will feel safer flying now that I know it's Linux not Windows :)

jasay
April 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I know I will feel safer flying now that I know it's Linux not Windows :)
If I read it correclty they actually switched from UNIX.

prizrak
April 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM
If I read it correclty they actually switched from UNIX.
Prolly true, I didn't read the full article. I'm still happy it's not Windows :)

jasay
April 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Prolly true, I didn't read the full article. I'm still happy it's not Windows :)
You're not the only one.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM
The government will save money here, and waste it somewhere else. It's terrible at managing money. Well, let's hope they don't screw up.

ComplexNumber
June 29th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I know I will feel safer flying now that I know it's Linux not Windows :) yup, i think most people 'in the know' would. otherwise, this (http://www.drbrad.org/flight-info.html) could happen on a regaular basis.