PDA

View Full Version : Netbook install problem

IT_Dudette
January 24th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Ist I put the iso on an 8gb stick, boot the netbook from the stick. Then I tell it to "try ubuntu netbook" once its up I then proceed to install. So then everything looks fine - How do I shut it down and test it to start up in ubuntu netbook remix? The only option I had was to suspend.

I've used the "try" version a few times and that's what's made me decide to do an actual install, in the try version I have the option to shut down, but not once I've installed from the try version.

If I do the direct install from the stick instead of the "try" version then it won't complete the install, it hangs at near the end un & pw are chosen - then the progress bar says when you're ready (or something like that) but the forward button is greyed out and wont accept the click.

I have an HP mini - It had XP on it but it's being choked. I have to install something more user friendly or its going in the garbage and I don't really want to do that.

Please advise/assist with a good install of ubuntu netbook remix. ASAP

Thanks!

Quackers
January 24th, 2011, 06:56 AM
It sounds like you are getting stuck at the "who are you?" page.
The usual cause is that the username has been started with a capital letter. No capital letters are permitted in that field.
Another cause can be that no password has been entered and/or confirmed.
Correct these fileds and the "forward" button should be usable.

IT_Dudette
January 25th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I had it book from the usb, did the try ubuntu netbook. then, top left corner - install ubuntu - did that and left all username/passwords/logins etc. in lower case. When it was done it said it now needed to restart so I said yes! at this point do I / can I pull out the usb for it to not book from the usb but supposedly start up in ubuntu ('cause that doesnt happen) If this ever does work, will it boot directly into ubuntu?

IT_Dudette
January 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM
During the install from within ubuntu, do I have to have it do the partition option? I thought that when you choose the "erase disk and install" option it would wipe the drive and do a total and complete install of ubuntu. The netbook won't boot into ubuntu, I get the startup option from window asking where it should boot from?

Anythoughts?

IT_Dudette
February 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
I've now experimented with Jolicloud . . . and it works! Finally I got something loaded on the netbook. I'd prefer to use the ubuntu remix 'cause I liked it when I was experimenting with it from the USB stick. What I don't like about Jolicloud is that some apps only work when you're hardwired into the internet. Some apps you can add/download as a permanent app but not all. Having problems using Firefox and chrome and thunderbird wirelessly.

I'm going to give the ubuntu remix another try . . . since Jolicloud did eventually boot after the netbook bios figured out how to . . . I'll give netbook remix another chance!