PDA

View Full Version : Bozo the clown vs Humanity to others

aundwer
April 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Hi folks!

I am new to these forums and would like to "introduce" myself in order to be thought of as "social" in here :)

(I've been reading in the Ubuntu forums since september last year, but I did'nt register til now).

I've been using GNU/Linux occasionally since Red Hat 6.2 "Zoot". The first distro I tested was Red Hat 5.2 :rolleyes: ...

I still remember that when clicking on "about the gnome panel" in RH 6.2, the about description said something like: "Responsible for launching applications, and for various system crashes : )" ...hehehe...is'nt that wonderful? :mrgreen:

I think the Linux distros and the various projects like GNOME, KDE and so on, has come a long way since then.

During the years, I have tested a lot of various linux distributions. Red Hat, SuSE, Slackware, Fedora, Debian and Gentoo among others.

None of them made a perfect fit on my desktop system. Gentoo and Debian came close, but Gentoo was too geeky, and Debian was too far behind the other distros in it's stable release :-|

Now, if I would build a server, I would choose Debian over and over again. I like that distro very much, especially their philosophy, and the Apt functionality. But on a desktop system? No.

...and here comes Ubuntu! Way to go, Shuttleworth :-D (and a whole lot of other people, of course, and not forgetting the heritage of the great Debian project)

I am currently dualbooting the Dapper beta along with my Windows 2000 system.

I've been "evaluating" Ubuntu since 5.04 and when the 6.06 LTS release is out (on my birthday, by the way hehehe) I can finally get rid of Windows!

In many ways, Ubuntu is the desktop distro I've been waiting for ever since I tried Linux for the first time.
Lucky me! The situation on my desktop systems was about to get pretty bad. I am still using Windows 2000, and it is getting older and older. I tried Windows XP when it came out, but I found it to be too bloaty, and with it's "Bozo the clown" interface, it looked like a cheap toy. There's a lot of other stuff I don't like with XP too. See this funny evaluation guide and you'll understand what I mean: http://toastytech.com/guis/wxp.html

I've had the opportunity to see the new Windows Vista (beta) in action too (a friend of mine is testing it), and this lead me to state that Windows 2000 is both the first, and the last good operating system coming from Microsoft.

I love the philosophy of FOSS, and I am also seeking to give something back to the community, especially the Ubuntu project since this is the distro that will be the "de facto" on my desktop systems.

So, I registered an account in Launchpad/Rosetta, planning to contribute swedish translations to the project.
(I am not a programmer).

Now, even though I've been using Linux occasionally for a long time, I am not an expert of it, so I'm probably going to ask questions in these forums in the future that some of you guys would classify as "newbie" stuff hehehe :mrgreen:

...and when it comes to answering to other peoples problems/questions, I will do my best, but if I don't feel that I know something about the particular issue, I will be silent!

Thanks for taking the time to read this rubbish!

Have a nice day!

Over n' out