PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i messed up some things with libgio

amireldor
January 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have a similar problem as in http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1000129 but I'm not sure how this guy solved it.

The problem is that when I try:

>>> gnome-open <url here>
Error showing url: Operation not supported
I don't find any relevant libgio or gio packages in aptitude. I also tried to compile and install `gio` from the GNOME git repositories but I think it's not related at all :)

I suppose this gnome-open thing is used to open URL's in pidgin and open the help menu when pressing F1 in a terminal window for example, as both of these actions does not work (this is after I played around with some packages).

amireldor
January 31st, 2011, 10:01 PM
well, I'm not sure what I did, but the bad things happened after I played around with compiling and installing all kinds of GNOME packages, with glib being one of them.

After searching some stuff on the net I found out that when I run buggy programs with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /usr/lib instead of /usr/local/lib then things worked.
I guess the new glib stuff were installed to /usr/local/lib and the older glib version stayed on /usr/lib.

Anyway things work now, sort of, but I'm still not sure if the new glib I needed to compile things with will work or what I'll do with it. I'm clueless! All I wanted is to compile evolution!

P.S.
The things started to work after I prepend the line "/usr/bin" before "/usr/local/bin" in the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf