PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Users and groups menu item missing

PMB2011
January 23rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've just installed Maverick (server) in a VirtualBox, and the 'Users and Groups' item is missing from the System/Administration menu when logged in with the first account created.

I've tried
- giving root a password and logging in as that - the item still doesn't show
- adding a new menu item for 'user-admin' (which I believe is the name of the underlying application). Gives "Failed to execute child process 'user-admin' (No such file or directory)"

How can I fix this issue? Where should user-admin be - maybe I need to add the path?

Many thanks
Peter

kansasnoob
January 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I've never installed the server edition but try System > Preferences > Main Menu. Then look in that Window under System > Administration > Users & Groups to be sure it's checked.

PMB2011
January 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't appear in the Preferences/MainMenu list at all (checked or unchecked) prior to me adding it manually...

Rubi1200
January 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know how relevant this is, but there is some information here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1672688&highlight=Users+groups+menu+missing

Follow some of the links too.

Of course, this is for the GUI not server edition.

PMB2011
January 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Solved - gnome-system-tools wasn't installed. I'm surprised at that (given that this is server) but maybe (as the thread you linked seems to imply) some installs lose it.

Many thanks,
Peter

Rubi1200
January 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
You are more than welcome :)

Glad you got it sorted out.

Please mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page so that other users can also find help.