PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install but can run from live USB

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hi guys .... I am new to Ubuntu .... I was trying to install ubuntu on my old IBM desktop. but it is just hanging not continuing the installation.... desktop has p4 processor, 2.8 Ghz, and 2.5 gb ram.... I can run ubuntu from usb but could not install help me guys,....

Thanks in advance

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome to UF :-)
At what stage is it hanging? What happens and when?

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you ........

it happens randomly... sometimes after selecting keyboard options and sometimes after i see the screen that have options

minmum 2.6 Gb requires,
internet connected... etc....

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Have you checked the MD5SUM of the downloaded iso file?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If that checks out ok, whilst booting from the disc press the Esc key. You should see a new screen. After choosing language there should be some options to choose from. Choose the one that checks the cd for errors.

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
i did check for md5... it says ok..... but i dont have cddrive,.... i am trying to install from USB,.... after selecting language ...its asking for time zone and next goes to keyboard... i selected USA and clicked forward... hangs up....

i tried another way ... try ubuntu from usb -> clicked install ubuntu.... but same thing happens ... but a small star mark that comes up on top saying parted_server crashed unexpectedly

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
It is irrelevant that you are using the usb, I think it can still be checked for errors. Did you try pressing the Esc key before the purple screen appears?

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
yes i tried that too... but it goes to installation page.... asking for language after clickeing forward it goes to minimum available space 2.6GB ,internet connected,download 3rd party software,download updates .... if i click forward just hangs up... i did not get any option to check cd for errors

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Try this please. During boot from the sub you should see a purple screen with a picture of a keyboard and a little man in a circle at the bottom of the screen. At the moment this screen appears press any key. The other options screen should then appear.

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Sorry about this..... After i boot from cd... the options i get is

Run Ubuntu from this USB
Install Ubuntu on a hard drive
test memory
Boot from first hard disk
Advanced Options a
Help

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
What is in the advanced options please?

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
shows nothing inside it :(

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
I don't know what's happening here :-)
If you go to the thread below and scroll down to the heading
"How to enable kernel options on the livecd (before install)"
these are the screens you should be seeing.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
finally i got to that screen in the sxeen shot

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Aha! Good luck :-)

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
sorry there is no option to check for errors

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Oh no! I don't know what to say now!
I can only suggest that you burn the image again to a new disc using the slowest write speed available. See if that improves the install attempt :-(

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
thanks for all the support dude.... i got this problem solved by checking all the options in f6 menu ,,,,,,now my installation started finally :)

Quackers
January 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Excellent :-) You're welcome!
I hope things run smoothly :-)

sumanatphp@gmail.com
January 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
yes this is my first message from ubuntu............. i love ubuntu ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :) but its little hard to install for this kind of dumb old systems....but its good now everything is smooth and good

speedball1
January 24th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I have had the same problem @ what stage did you hit the f6 key and what options did you select