PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Libraries

kainalu
January 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
Is there a way to combine multiple folders into one "folder" similar to the way that Windows7 does Libraries? That way movies, for instance, would be able to be distributed on multiple drives, but appear in one place, when wanted. sort of like mounting multiple folders on on one mount point.

3Miro
January 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Check symlink, "ln -s"

man ln

kainalu
January 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
EDIT:

3Miro, I tried what you said, using asterisks to indicate contents instead of linking the whole folder, works great. Thanks for the help.

Krytarik
January 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM
EDIT:

3Miro, I tried what you said, using asterisks to indicate contents instead of linking the whole folder, works great. Thanks for the help.
That way you have to create further symlinks if you add files to those directories, considered that?

kainalu
January 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well I did, but really don't know how to get around that easily. I just made a script that will update my merge folders, then set it as a daily cronjob, with a link to it in bashrc so I can run it any time like any other command (or even make a button on my panel)

Do you have a suggestion that is more elegant? Also, as a minor side note, how can I prevent that folder from showing link badges on the files?

Thanks for the help!

Krytarik
January 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM
It's elegant enough imo, if you like it that way. I would have made it with just symlinks to the different locations, would be sufficient for me, and is more transparent.

As for the symlink arrow, try this solution, the last post, should work, but unfortunately you will have to rename them all down the "inherits" path, open the file "index.theme" in the themes' dir with the text editor to look them up, you have to open it from within the text editor, like the .desktop-files:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-236013.html

kainalu
January 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM
OK cool, thank you very much. Marking thread solved!