PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot load Ubuntu installer

BigRicky
January 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hey, all,

I am a Linux newbie, but I have had the pleasure of installing Linux (mostly Ubuntu) a dozen or so times, and out of all the conceivable problems one could foresee with Ubuntu, installation is not one of them- it's usually easier than cooking a poptart.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 64 bit alongside Windows 7 on a new Dell laptop. Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core Processor 5.3 4.1
Memory: 3.00 GB 5.5
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

And here is my odd story: I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit, tried to install it from CD. Got a black screen, and then ten seconds or so I would get a cursor where I couldn't do anything. Typing didn't do anything, and neither did Ctrl Alt F1. Tried installing via USB drive. Same thing.

Tried installing via Wubi. Went successfully in Windows, then said I had to reboot into Ubuntu to finish the installation. Boot into Ubuntu, and it says it's installing and then freezes. Several hours and headaches later, I uninstalled my Wubi Ubuntu.

By recommendation of a nice gent in IRC who thought this might be a graphics issue, I downloaded the alternate version. When trying to install by USB or CD I get one step further. I get to the Ubuntu install screen where it asks what I would like to do: Install Ubuntu or perform a mem check or whatever. Then after I select "Install Ubuntu" it shows a bunch of commands going through and stops at one and doesn't continue.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ricky

EDIT: Apparently it is due to my graphics card. I was able to install by checking the advanced parameters 'acpi=off', 'noapic', and 'nolapic'. Now it won't boot because of aforementioned graphics problem, but it IS installed.