PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to load Ubuntu 10.10

raccoon19
January 22nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
I have a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 which I am trying to load onto my XP laptop. I have created a new partition and it shows up on "my computer". My trouble is that when Ubuntu has started to load after a few minutes it tells me there are no index files, so it cancelles the instal.
Also at the beginning it shows in red writing that other files are missing. I first downloaded the OS on my windows7 computer then burnt it to a disc as an ISO image which had the same problem as the second copy which I downloaded onto my XP machine and burnt it to a disc as ISO image just to sure nothing had been missed. I get the same error.
Could anyone shep some light on my trouble please. I would like to try Ubuntu but I am not prepared to totally wipe my drive of XP unless I can use this other OS. Thanks for any help.

wilee-nilee
January 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 which I am trying to load onto my XP laptop. I have created a new partition and it shows up on "my computer". My trouble is that when Ubuntu has started to load after a few minutes it tells me there are no index files, so it cancelles the instal.
Also at the beginning it shows in red writing that other files are missing. I first downloaded the OS on my windows7 computer then burnt it to a disc as an ISO image which had the same problem as the second copy which I downloaded onto my XP machine and burnt it to a disc as ISO image just to sure nothing had been missed. I get the same error.
Could anyone shep some light on my trouble please. I would like to try Ubuntu but I am not prepared to totally wipe my drive of XP unless I can use this other OS. Thanks for any help.

A Linux ext4 partition will not show in XP at all, it sounds like your just a little mixed up here. Boot the Ubuntu Live cd in try mode and do this. So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the (#) in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

Also are you trying to install Ubuntu from the running XP=Wubi.

dirghrabadia
January 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Following the steps below, in order, might be helpful:

1)Download the 10.10 image file on Windows, and check for the integrity (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)

2)Burn the image file on a CD/DVD.

3)Free some space on your hard-drive from within Windows (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/)

4)Boot the LIVE CD/DVD for 10.10 and the rest of the options would be easy to follow in GUI.

This is only if you want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, and not through WUBI.

wilee-nilee
January 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Following the steps below, in order, might be helpful:

1)Download the 10.10 image file on Windows, and check for the integrity (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)

2)Burn the image file on a CD/DVD.

3)Free some space on your hard-drive from within Windows (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/)

4)Boot the LIVE CD/DVD for 10.10 and the rest of the options would be easy to follow in GUI.

This is only if you want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, and not through WUBI.

From your link.
Windows 7 and Vista include a built-in functionality in Disk Management to shrink and expand partitions. No more 3rd party utilities needed!

This is XP.

raccoon19
March 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM
hi everyone, sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I started a new thread but cannot find it. It is to do with my copy of Ubuntu which I have now got loaded onto my spare computer.
I will thank everyone for your help in getting me this far. I now have a problem with the connection to the internet. I have a wireless router that works ok on the windows side of the computer.
I am trying to get Ubuntu to work using a Belkin USB adapter but finding it more or less impossible to set up the wireless side. I downloaded some drivers from Belkin for Ubuntu but cannot seem to get them onto the machine.
can anyone guide me in the right direction of how to do this and set up the network side of it please. The router is a netgear one.
thanks again for all your interest.