PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't install ubuntu (not sure if it's the SATA problem?)

kodrann
January 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
the situation:
i had ubuntu installed on my PC up until few days ago and everything worked perfectly. and then my HDD died (it was old Maxtor IDE). i bought new Seagate SATA. connected everything and proceeded with ubuntu installation (fresh 10.10 cd). the computer detects the installation cd and then the screen goes blank with only a line blinking in the top left corner of the screen. i also installed windows xp and tried from there. files from ubuntu cd copy just fine but when i restart to complete the installation the same thing happens. so i downloaded ubuntu 8 and burned it on cd. this time i was able to get a menu on the startup but after i choose anything it freezes again. so i don't know wher the problem is... the cd's were burned with 2 different recorders, they work fine up until the installation is about to begin. only hardware change is the new sata HDD. this is a problem for me since i don't want to use windows in everyday activities... thank you for your help in advance ;)

wilee-nilee
January 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
That is a very confusing post.

So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the (#) in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

lisati
January 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
It might be easier for us to understand your request if you use a separate paragraph for each of the things you tried.

A number of things can cause a freeze with only a blinking cursor showing. One common problem I've seen that causes this is an issue with graphics drivers.

dabl
January 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
In your BIOS, try setting the SATA mode to "Legacy IDE" or "Compatibility" or whatever the non-AHCI option is.

After you finish installation and verify that it's working correctly, you should be able to reset the mode back to AHCI and run correctly.

kodrann
January 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
- have previously installed ubuntu and everything worked fine
- changed HDD from IDE to SATA one
- tried to install ubuntu from cd and from usb but both failed at the very beggining (menu with install ubuntu, check disc etc. options)
- i can't get any info with the script since i'm not able to boot into ubuntu
- have tried to change sata type from native IDE to other types, still nothing...
- the reason i suggested SATA at first place is because before HDD change everything worked like it should

dabl
January 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
If you know it, please give the brand and model of the motherboard, and the model of the new Seagate hdd. Is the SATA connector on the motherboard, or is there a separate SATA controller installed? When you go into BIOS, does it show the new hdd?

Also, does that hdd have a jumper block on it -- are there any jumpers set?

kodrann
January 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
in the meantime i actually found the solution on this exact (sub)forum :)

At the CD boot menu, press F6 and chose the option that turns off ACPI.

Problem solved. thank you people for your help! ;)