PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GNOME panels or icons after installation

KneusExMachina
January 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
After a new installation of Ubuntu 10.10 (regular or alternative) I get to the login screen as usual. However, after logging in I get no panels or icons. In fact, I only get the Ubuntu background and a working mouse cursor. The same happens when I try Ubuntu from the live CD (with a black background). The installation itself was performed in a high resolution with no problems at all! I got a panel there (for sound, wireless, etc.).

After installation I can also Ctrl-Alt-F1 to login textually to see my processes. When I restart GDM I will get back to the login screen, but I after visually logging in I again see no panels or icons! Where should I start with a working visual installation and login screen, but a blank desktop environment after login?

Reinstalling or creating another user will not work.

akand074
January 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hey, welcome to the forums!

You can try pressing Alt + F2 and running the command:

metacity --replace

in the dialogue box.

If that doesn't work you can try pressing Alt + F2 again and running this:

/usr/bin/jockey-gtk

This will open an additional drivers dialogue box. Install any proprietary drivers available (video card driver is what is important) then restart and see if that fixes the issue. That's all I can think of right now. Post back if neither works.

KneusExMachina
January 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hi,

The Alt-F2 dialog box won't show, just like the panels and icons won't show. Therefore, I cannot know if it got the input. When I try those commands in textual mode I need an X running. The only thing I could do is start the textual jockey:

oet@nec:~$/usr/bin/jockey-text
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)

Searching for available drivers...
oet@nec:~$

As you can see, it returns nothing but a GTK error and standard output (don't know why, because it's the text jockey version).

I have an ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (no longer supported by ATI I guess). Furthermore, I noticed the file '.x-session-errors' in my home directory. I don't know if it's relevant but here's it's content:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-irWP4C
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-irWP4C/ssh
** Message: adding killswitch idx 0 state KILLSWITCH_STATE_UNBLOCKED

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1436): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1436): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
** (nm-applet:1433): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

(nautilus:1428): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed
Starting gtk-window-decorator
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/oet/.compiz/session/102a4f250ee1fff46e12954735721616400000013620028"

What should I do next? The video card worked when I was installing Ubuntu...

akand074
January 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
hmm.. give this a try, perhaps the problem is with gnome-settings-daemon:

sudo killall gnome-settings-daemon

then

sudo gnome-settings-daemon

Possibly nautilus I doubt it.. but you can try this if the top doesn't work:

rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && killall nautilus

(I assume you can get to a command prompt). Though even your Alt+F2 dialogue box isn't coming up.. seems like a more major issue. Judging by your original post, I assume you have already tried a clean install several times?

KneusExMachina
January 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hi again,

It seems like the problem's fixed! But since I did some stuff myself and your stuff I have to pinpoint the exact solution. I will do a fresh install (again) and trace which command solved the problem. I'll get back to you when I figure it out.

Thanx!

akand074
January 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hi again,

It seems like the problem's fixed! But since I did some stuff myself and your stuff I have to pinpoint the exact solution. I will do a fresh install (again) and trace which command solved the problem. I'll get back to you when I figure it out.

Thanx!

Fantastic. That's kind of you to do, because this can be helpful to others in the future.

KneusExMachina
January 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Seems like my panels DO work in safe mode (I did not know that you could choose that after clicking on a login name and before entering the password at the panel below).

Here are the steps I've taken in SAFE MODE:
* Go to appearance preferences
* Go the the visual effects tab
* Select normal and get an error "Desktop effects could not be enabled"

When I login again in regular mode, I have a working desktop environment with everything on it!

Problem solved? Partially... I can see that my visual effects are (now?) set to "None" like in safe mode. When I set it to "Normal" all my stuff (except background and mouse cursor) disappear again. If I do ALT+F2 and enter "compiz --replace" the same happens :(.

I also noticed a new error in my .xsession-errors:

(gnome-appearance-properties:2177): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_display_sync: asser
tion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
There is no available graphics driver for your system which supports the composite extension, or the current one already supports it.

So everything is working, but without visual effects. Is there a way to solve this with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300? There were also problems with a ATI Radeon X300 in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466210).

akand074
January 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Try installing the latest graphics drivers from AMD. 32 Bit (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.12&lang=English). 64 Bit (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.12&lang=English). Assuming you weren't able to get your proprietary drivers installed using System > Administration > Additional Drivers.

You could also try what the person from that thread did to solve it:

i solved the issue. problem is when external display is connected thru vga then i m unable to select extra or normal option under appearance. i removed external monitor connection and restart ubuntu and everything is working.

KneusExMachina
January 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I do not use an external monitor.

Anyway, I first tried to install the driver first this way:

oet@nec:~$ sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
==================================================
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.35-24-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.xDe2mE

Then I read this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1221221) and listed for what distro's it can compile packages for Ubuntu:

oet@nec:~$ sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg
Ubuntu Packages:
Ubuntu/7.10
Ubuntu/8.04
Ubuntu/8.10
Ubuntu/9.04
Ubuntu/gutsy
Ubuntu/hardy
Ubuntu/intrepid
Ubuntu/jaunty
Ubuntu/source

So then I chose the latest version it had:

oet@nec:~$ sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/9.04

It made a bunch of debian packages! After installing them, the driver showed on my jockey-gtk. However, when I wanted to activate it the following happened (run from console to show std err):

oet@nec:~$ /usr/bin/jockey-gtk

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 386, in on_button_toggle_clicked
'toggle', False):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 650, in set_handler_enable
handler_id, enable)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 98, in convert_dbus_exceptions
return fn(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 90, in dbus_sync_call_signal_wrapper
raise _h_exception_exc
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.TypeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/service.py", line 702, in _message_cb
retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 337, in _f_result_wrapper
self._f_result = f()
File "/usr/share/jockey/handlers/fglrx.py", line 71, in enable
self._alternatives.set_alternative(fglrx_alternati ve)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/NvidiaDetector/alternatives.py", line 89, in set_alternative
subprocess.check_call([self.__command, '--set', self.__master_link, path])
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 483, in check_call
retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 470, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 623, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
TypeError: execv() arg 2 must contain only strings

It won't active (can press Active as many times and get this same error). After another install, same happens.

akand074
January 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Did you run it as root? The command should have worked regardless I believe:

sudo sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run

That should open an installer where you just follow the steps. You shouldn't have to activate the drivers from System > Administration > Additional Drivers if you already installed that. Go check out System > Preferences and see if you have "ATI Catalyst Control Center" there. That would mean it installed successfully.

KneusExMachina
January 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Great... I have an option to install it automatically after it builds the packages. But... new errors! Before I begin to try anything, do you have any ideas?

oet@nec:~/Downloads$ sudo sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/9.04
Created directory fglrx-install.IYEWRN
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver 8.593..................
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
Generating and Installing package: Ubuntu/9.04
Resolving build dependencies...
Continuing package build
Package /home/oet/Downloads/xorg-driver-fglrx_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/oet/Downloads/xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/oet/Downloads/fglrx-kernel-source_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/oet/Downloads/fglrx-amdcccle_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/oet/Downloads/fglrx-modaliases_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/oet/Downloads/libamdxvba1_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Selecting previously deselected package xorg-driver-fglrx.
(Reading database ... 121608 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xorg-driver-fglrx (from xorg-driver-fglrx_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: warning: obsolete option '--print-installation-architecture', please use '--print-architecture' instead.
Selecting previously deselected package fglrx-kernel-source.
Unpacking fglrx-kernel-source (from fglrx-kernel-source_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package fglrx-amdcccle.
Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from fglrx-amdcccle_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: warning: downgrading fglrx-modaliases from 2:8.780-0ubuntu2 to 2:8.593-0ubuntu1.
Preparing to replace fglrx-modaliases 2:8.780-0ubuntu2 (using fglrx-modaliases_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement fglrx-modaliases ...
Setting up fglrx-kernel-source (2:8.593-0ubuntu1) ...
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build

Error! Build of fglrx.ko failed for: 2.6.35-22-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.593/build/ for more information.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/dkms.py", line 47, in <module>
report['SourcePackage'] = apport.packaging.get_source(package)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apport/packaging_impl.py", line 106, in get_source
if self._apt_pkg(package).installed:
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apport/packaging_impl.py", line 66, in _apt_pkg
raise ValueError, 'package does not exist'
ValueError: package does not exist
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.35-22-generic (i686) first.
Done.
Setting up fglrx-modaliases (2:8.593-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.593-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Setting up fglrx-amdcccle (2:8.593-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.C.cache...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for python-support ...
xorg-driver-fglrx_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-modaliases_8.593-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
Cleaning up removed packages
Warning: Could not find configuration file
Please copy configuration file template to /etc/X11
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.IYEWRN

akand074
January 29th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Does it not work without the "--buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/9.04" option? It looks like you are not the only one with this problem. Check out this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/573748) page.. apparently they made a patch that works with .35 kernels as well. Also you can take a little look at this (http://secondfry.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-post.html) page.. I think some person tried to install an ATI driver and it had the same issue then he tried to apply the patch. I think they all had issues with -22 kernel. Try doing an update (System > Administration > Update Manager). The newest update has the 2.6.35-25 kernel, perhaps it will successfully build for this kernel. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Let me know how any of this goes.