PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] popup notifications missing / no longer appearing

shinkaide
January 22nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this: the pop-up notifications that usually appear on the top-right of the screen when I increase/decrease the volume via media keys on my laptop (among other notifications) are gone.

Is there a way I can restore those?

Krytarik
January 22nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Try re-installing the package "notify-osd":

sudo apt-get install --reinstall notify-osd

shinkaide
January 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
It works again, but only partially. I get popup notifications when I connect or disconnect to and from wired / wireless connections, but volume increase / decrease notifications are still borked. :???:

Krytarik
January 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
I just yet did a short web search on this, it seems that there are multiple issues regarding the display of the volume level.

Have you installed a modified version of notify-osd via PPA, or configured it somehow?
Do you have the package "notification-daemon" installed parallelly (shouldn't be)?

shinkaide
January 22nd, 2011, 06:38 AM
Have you installed a modified version of notify-osd via PPA, or configured it somehow?
Do you have the package "notification-daemon" installed parallelly (shouldn't be)?

Nope, nothing of the sort. Didn't tinker with anything having to do with Ubuntu's core configuration - the most I've done are really just cosmetic changes (installed theme engines, nautilus modifications, the like). Even after those, the volume notifications continued to work. It's only been a day or two since the popups disappeared, and I can't figure out why.

The package you've mentioned is also not installed.

shinkaide
January 24th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Um... anyone?

stinkeye
January 24th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I get this problem occasionally but after running

pkill notify-osd
it appears again.

shinkaide
January 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Didn't work for me. I also tried sudo, but no such results. :|

thaDM
February 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have this problem too... ish.

My volume and brightness OSDs are fine but all others do not appear.
Haven't tried the above solutions yet as I am looking this up at work but will let you know if they work for me later.

thaDM
February 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah the solutions above didn't work.

thaDM
March 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Mine all seem to be working now. Has there been an update?