PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server port probably firewall issue

MikeyDL
January 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM
Been trying to setup to do remote connection for MySQL admin but I can't seem to access port 3306 on my ubuntu 10.04 server. I've read that ubuntu comes with a firewall but it's off by default. I take it, however that for a server distro it's on by default. I'm not really knowledgeable yet at reviewing port and firewall settings, but was reading that while you can't ping a specific port you can telnet into that port to test if it's open or not.

So I"ve been able to telnet into port 80, 22 ect. but I get a connection refused when I try to telnet into port 3306 (to test if open). I did an:

sudo ufw allow 3306

to setup an access rule but that didn't seem to work. I've also done a:

sudo ufw disable

to try and turn off the firewall but no luck yet. Does anyone have ideas or can point me to the right place to work this type of issue.

gordintoronto
January 22nd, 2011, 02:25 AM
Where are you connecting from? If it's not from a computer on the same LAN, you need to set up port forwarding on your router.

MikeyDL
January 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
I"m connecting from a working laptop to the server. Both the laptop and server are on the same subnet (192.168.1... internal addressing) There is a firewall for external LAN access but I"m trying to connect via interal IP's. I've also have a 3306 access rule setup for all incoming outgoing connections on the firewall just in case.

I can ping and telnet to other ports on the server (port 80, 22) but not the 3306 one for some reason.

ADD: I actually have two clean test ubuntu servers (just built). Tested out the same process with the second one, and did a
sudo ufw allow 3306 but having the same problems. Must be missing some key point.

MikeyDL
January 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Actually still working on this. After further research I finally edited the .cfg file and figured out that I needed to bind to something other then localhost in order to get mysql to respond. After adding a bind-address line for my internal ip I was able to get a different error message when trying to connect with my db admin tool. I'm looking into that right now.

With regards to using telnet to probe open port, maybe I was wrong on that assumption. Tried connecting with other random ports and was getting connection refused messages. It did seem to give me a connection with telnet for ports 80 and 22. Are there any good tools for probing to see if a port is open behind a firewall?

ripat
January 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Simply nmap.

$ nmap ip_server
Be patient as nmap will scan all ports. You can shorten the scan by specifying the port:

$ nmap -p 3306 ip_server

GeekUnder
January 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
Try this online test http://mysql.icannotconnect.com to check if you can access the mysql port on an external server. If it is blocked, then at least you know that the problem is at the client side (ie. laptop or firewall in between is blocking outgoing connections to that port and not a server side firewalling issue.)

MikeyDL
January 23rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions those will both come in handy.