PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] KDE vs Gnome (Specifics)

Lolpanda
January 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hey guys,

So, for the next release of Ubuntu I've been in a toss-up between sticking with gnome / unity, or giving KDE another try. I'm not a fan of either gnome-shell or unity at this point (If it hasnt been fixed yet, Unity Devs..can we please move/customize the dock!?) and so naturally have been drawn to KDE.

Its been awhile since I dabbled with it, partially becomes I am a bit of a gamer (Wine+WoW) With an "Okay" graphics card. I typically end up pulling 30-40fps depending on the zone I'm in and thats with all settings at minimum, I know KDE 4.6 recently made quite a few changes with compositing under Kwin to make it faster and more efficient.

I guess my real question here is this: If I go from gnome (Metacity, no compositing, not even compiz in any form.) to KDE will I see a drop in FPS drastic enough to make me turn back? And is there a way to turn off compositing under KDE in hopes of alleviating it?

oldos2er
January 22nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
There's a widget for KDE 4.5x that allows desktop effects to be toggled on and off.

CraigPaleo
January 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM
In System Settings under Desktop Effects, there's a button "Suspend Desktop Effects."

snowpine
January 22nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
Why not try both and see for yourself which works better with your specific hardware? Simply "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" and then you can switch back and forth between Gnome and KDE by choosing Sessions from the login screen.

If you decide you don't like the KDE experiment and want to get back to "pure" Gnome, read here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

ps If you want to maximize your resources while you're gaming, why not try something "lightweight" like LXDE, fluxbox, jwm, etc. instead of KDE/Gnome?

Lolpanda
January 22nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
ps If you want to maximize your resources while you're gaming, why not try something "lightweight" like LXDE, fluxbox, jwm, etc. instead of KDE/Gnome?

Preferrence on KDE/Gnome to be honest; and I'm okay with 30-40. Its when I hit 10-20 I get annoyed. But Yeah, I'll prob end up just installing KDE, only reason I didn't want my menus b ecoming massively cluttered with both but since the pure-gnome / pure-kde was posted, thats not a problem :) THanks guys