PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Few newbie-questions.. thanks!

mike_rider
January 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
:popcorn:Hi to all!:KS

I´m still a complete newbie to this - been working with computers for over 25yrs - seen linux before - but this is the first time I got it on my own PC.

I first tried to set it up on a seperate partition of my HD because it did not give me other options when I booted from CD - it said something along the lines of root-path missing or something - it split my partition of 172GB in 72GB in the Exp4-format and left the rest 100 "unusable"

.. well then I installed it under Windows parallel on my main Windows-partition, tried to install my cell-fone-software and USB-driver but that did not work at all. When I just plugged it in - it did not recognize it at all - when inserting the Samsung-CD that came with the cellfone it did not autorun. When I clicked on the executable file (install.exe) it just opened some "archive-analyzer" - gave me some error-message (some .zip-file not found) and left me there. Any other .exe file on the CD would not run either:KS

I also did not know where to look for a generic Linux-driver - there are soooo many options in the Software-menu of Ubuntu that it just lost me completely.

Can anyone give me some basic instructions on how to get started in this new platform - I really don´t trust Microsoft/Windows/BillyGates anymore!

Thank you! :)

presence1960
January 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM
windows installer files : .exe, .msi, etc do not run in a linux file system.

mike_rider
January 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well, gee thank you "presence" - I noticed that! That still does not get me one step further - is there ANY possible way to run ANY of the software and programs that are available out there? Is there any other way to connect my cell-fone to my PC under Ubuntu? The main reason I wanted to check it out was to connect my cellfone. On WindowsXP it worked - Win7 did not recognize my cellfone and Samsung said "Sorry - impossible!" - Pleeeease someone - help me°! :confused: :shock:](*,) :-#