PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how install utorrent alpha and how could I have "full screen"?

magodiafano
January 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hi, I am a n00b and I have two simple questions:
the first is relative to utorrent alpha... I don't know how install it:

I downloaded a .gz file and I have extracted it. When I try to click on utserver (there is a padlock up the icon) a file setting.dat is created and nothing happens.
What I have to do?

The second question is relative to the maximisation of the windows (like firefox): when I do the maximization two bars remain (the upper one with application, places.. etc etc) and the lower one (similar to windows).
is there a way to have only one bar like in windows? I would like only the lower one.

Thank you

cariboo
January 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM
uttorent for linux, is a server only, just open a terminal and navigate to the directory where the extracted files are and type:

sudo ./utserver

you should then be able to access it from your web browser at http://localhost:10000, although it doesn't work for me.

I'd suggest giving qbittorrent a try, as it's quite similar to utorrent.

gordintoronto
January 22nd, 2011, 02:05 AM
Do you really want to run a server, or just do bittorrent downloads? Transmission is included with Ubuntu.

The easiest way to only have one panel, at the bottom, is to install Linux Mint...

jrz
February 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hi, I am a n00b and I have two simple questions:
the first is relative to utorrent alpha... I don't know how install it:

I downloaded a .gz file and I have extracted it. When I try to click on utserver (there is a padlock up the icon) a file setting.dat is created and nothing happens.
What I have to do?

The second question is relative to the maximisation of the windows (like firefox): when I do the maximization two bars remain (the upper one with application, places.. etc etc) and the lower one (similar to windows).
is there a way to have only one bar like in windows? I would like only the lower one.

Thank you

I extracted the files to a folder on my Desktop named UTServer, and just open a terminal screen, navigate to the directory containing the executable,
cd Desktop/UTserver/utorrent-server-v3_0 and type ./utserver as shown below.

joe@compaq:~/Desktop/UTserver/utorrent-server-v3_0$ ./utserver

server started - using locale en_US.utf8
IPv6 is installed

Utorrent is then running and to view it I open Firefox and enter http://localhost:8080/gui which allows me to view and use utorrent.

It works very well, and appears to connect to seeds and peers much more quickly than running the Win version under wine, the CPU usage is much less, and torrents appear to complete much more quickly.

marcusaur
February 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM
on yer bars at both sides are two small arrows click anyone and it hides yer bar

jrz
February 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
on yer bars at both sides are two small arrows click anyone and it hides yer bar

I'm not quite sure what you mean without seeing a screen dump.

My display was not correct initially, but fixed by holding the control key and clicking the + key several times corrected it.

marcusaur
February 21st, 2011, 09:58 PM
how to get bars away http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/1459/kIaKnRcu.png look for curser above the firefox logo

marcusaur
February 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM
as for torrent client i find the preloaded transmission works very well never tried to download utorrent no need

jrz
February 22nd, 2011, 03:26 AM
how to get bars away http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/1459/kIaKnRcu.png look for curser above the firefox logo

You can right click on the bar and under properties uncheck "Show hide buttons" to remove the arrows, and you can check "Autohide" to hide the bar like in Windows.

jrz
February 22nd, 2011, 03:35 AM
as for torrent client i find the preloaded transmission works very well never tried to download utorrent no need

It's a matter of personal choice, I've tried various apps, including transmission and though they all worked satisfactorily, I ended up preferring utorrent under wine, but now find the utorrent alpha without need of wine to be much more efficient.