PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 not load

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi to all.Try to load my system today and nothing come up,only the terminal window.What ever i type in is working,like now i type in the terminal firefox,and it is how i ended up here.Try to type thunderbird in the terminal and my mail server started no problem.But nothing on my screen,don`t no wher to go from here.Any help please?? Thank you.

dino99
January 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM
in a terminal: startx

then check the driver activation: system admin additional drivers

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you for your help dino,i try and not working.it sad user not authorized to run x server

sikander3786
January 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Try,

sudo service gdm start

And also, post the output of these commands.

lspci | grep VGA

glxinfo | grep vendor

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you for your time i try all what you sagest,and came up
#1 job is already running
#2 nothing
#3 nothing
#4 no such file or directory
but if i type in lspci a hole page come off,i try to copy and paste here but not working.
Sorry my knowledge is weary limited with Ubuntu.(last 20 years used windows).
If any suggestion i will try.Thank you again.

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Welcome.

1. Did it used to work?
2. If so, did you change anything?
3. What are your specs?

sikander3786
January 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
I am pretty sure you mis-typed those commands thats why they didn't come up with any outputs. Any ways, try reconfiguring your graphics.

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Note, capital 'X' for X11.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Reboot.

sudo reboot now

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Thank you again sikander i try and come up with
#1 mv:cannot stat `/etc/X11/xorg.conf no such file or directory
#2 dpkg:need an action option
#3 sudo reboot now is working
One thing is funny.Before when everything was working my terminal window was different.
and in the terminal window was janos@janos-desktop $ and now before the $ sign have something ~like that symbol.If i type cd / the symbol is gone.
If i try to reload Ubuntu from my CD will i lose everything what i have now??

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
My terminal has no header and no frame just white window and never had this before
janos@janos-desktop:~/$

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thank you again sikander i try and come up with
#1 mv:cannot stat `/etc/X11/xorg.conf no such file or directory
#3 sudo reboot now is working
One thing is funny.Before when everything was working my terminal window was different.
and in the terminal window was janos@janos-desktop $ and now before the $ sign have something ~like that symbol.If i type cd / the symbol is gone.
If i try to reload Ubuntu from my CD will i lose everything what i have now??

Sadly, yes, you will lose everything. But, using the terminal, you can back stuff up onto a flash drive. The command would be something like this...

Assuming you want to backup your entire home directory, you could do this:

sudo cp -a /home/yourusername /media/yourflashdrive

That should do it.

Before you try to reinstall, make sure you have EVERYTHING important backed up. Good luck.

sikander3786
January 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM

That was the most important command in your scenario and you missed on that. Please make sure you are not mis-typing. Try again.

If you've got a separate /home partition, you won't lose any settings/configuration but will lose all the installed software in case of a re-install. If /home is not on a separate partition, and that is most likely the case with a default install, you'll lose everything on the '/' partition.

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
That was the most important command in your scenerio and you missed on that. Please make sure you are not mis-typing. Try again.

If you've got a seperate /home partition, you won't lose any settings/configuration but will lose all the installed software in case of a re-install. If /home is not on a seperate partition, and that is most likely the case with a default install, you'll lose everything on the '/' partition.

Yep, so back stuff up if you are going to do it.

presence1960
January 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
From terminal run
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
From terminal run
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Or maybe reinstalling it might help...

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you all for your patient,try to save my staff,but all my beautiful fine tuned Firefox and all the bookmark will be gone.Now i try the USB stick but i have no clue what drive is the USB stick.Thank you again for your time and patient.

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
As Sheldon would say, the one with the duck mouth. :-)

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry guys not easy to get red of me.Try to sudo cp -a but error msg.no destination drive.
now i know the USB stick is the DUCK MOUTH ,but i have no drive letter.
Anybody have more patient?

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Well i know all your guys give up on me but one miracle always could happen,like UBUDOG
suggested sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop,reinstall everything and all my staff was saved.Nothing is missing and everything is working perfect.
Thank you again for everybody.

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Well i know all your guys give up on me but one miracle always could happen,like UBUDOG
suggested sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop,reinstall everything and all my staff was saved.Nothing is missing and everything is working perfect.
Thank you again for everybody.

That's great! Awesome. Freaking awesome. :p:p:p:p :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ubudog
January 21st, 2011, 10:21 PM
Sorry guys not easy to get red of me.Try to sudo cp -a but error msg.no destination drive.
now i know the USB stick is the DUCK MOUTH ,but i have no drive letter.
Anybody have more patient?

To find the name of your flashdrive, type this in a terminal...

ls /media

That will list all flashdrives, cd's ect. plugged into your computer.

Janos1
January 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you is yours again ubudog.

ubudog
January 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Thank you is yours again ubudog.

No problem.