PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Does anyone use LXDE?

OpenSourceRules
January 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
As I have said before, the first hand experience with LXDE, KDE, GNOME, and XFCE all came from Fedora. Than again, YUM kept failing on me, so I quit.

What do you think of LXDE in general?

ajgreeny
January 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
fast, low resource requirement, not as customisable as gnome or xfce, but still great for low spec machines.

You can add it to your current ubuntu from the repos either as lxde, or as lubuntu-desktop.

If you don't like it remove it, but note the packages either of those installs so as to make sure it's all gone.

lisati
January 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I occasionally use it to log in to my server, but I'm more used to Gnome.

cascade9
January 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
I cant be bothered with it. Its not that much lighter than Xfce (at least with the distros/setups I've used), and I find it ugly.

SteveDee
January 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
...If you don't like it remove it, but note the packages either of those installs so as to make sure it's all gone...

If you install using Synaptic and you subsequently want to remove it, just use menu File > History as a reference to all packages that should be removed.

3Miro
January 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Openbox was the window manager that worked best on my laptop. LXDE is fast, but still rather buggy and considerably feature-less. The thing with features is that you either use those features and care, or you don't.

I prefer XFCE (especially the new one).

Gaygerbil
January 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
It's fast and works beautifully, it can be customized without installing tons of dependencies IMO. There are many features that are missing but they aren't that important.

If you want to just use a fast desktop with a tad of customization, this works well.

But it does require you to be more knowledgeable than Ubuntu honestly. And I'm not sure if you'd appreciate that.

lukeiamyourfather
January 26th, 2011, 08:08 PM
LXDE is hideous and doesn't seem very intuitive. I realize that doesn't affect the functionality once you get used to it but I just never have gotten over that "ugly hump" when starting to use LXDE.

JRV
January 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I recently started using Lubuntu on my low spec test computer, and I like it better than XFCE. When running Xubuntu I would lose the panel, and I can access my network without the added overhead of installing smb4k.

urukrama
January 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I prefer plain Openbox. I've never really tried LXDE, as I have no need for everything they add to Openbox.