PDA

View Full Version : Cable or Dsl (in the USA)

dermotti
April 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Currently i have Comcast cable internet. The speed is damn good. Only problem is, a few times a month i lose internet connection totally, and the resolution is to powercycle my cable modem. This happens mostly when im doing P2P with edoney. Its a pain.

So i am moving soon and i have the option to go with DSL. If DSL can resolve that issue i would go with it.

Any input?

Jason_25
April 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Have you contacted your service provider? You could have a faulty cable adapter. Anyway, any ISP that has adapters with ethernet connections are best. I find cable internet has a less convoluted connection process than DSL and generally has faster download speeds. Both in actual download speeds and in meeting the rated speed for the connection. Of course, upload speed is really important too.

ubuntu27
April 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Currently i have Comcast cable internet. The speed is damn good. Only problem is, a few times a month i lose internet connection totally, and the resolution is to powercycle my cable modem. This happens mostly when im doing P2P with edoney. Its a pain.

So i am moving soon and i have the option to go with DSL. If DSL can resolve that issue i would go with it.

Any input?

That happens to me too!!
My Internet get "disconnected" once or twice a weel, and I have Cable Modem.

The good think about Cable MODEM is that any, or most of the Linux detects it automatically. :)

woedend
April 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
don't mess with DSL. Powercycling unfortunately seems to happen to some people more than others. check your line signal strength. If all looks well, try replacing modem assuming its rented. While it's normal, it's not necessarily acceptable. I only do mine once every month or less.

prizrak
April 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I would advise against DSL having had both I prefer cable. Comcast is damn good in my opinion. One thing you might want to do to is limit your UL/DL speeds, home modems are generally not made to handle the amount of traffic massive p2p sessions put through them :)

wmcbrine
April 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
In my experience, and by reputation, DSL is highly reliable. I haven't had cable Internet, but my impression from what others say is that it's less reliable. (For what it's worth, you could compare the reliability of cable TV and regular telephone service. My experience there is that cable is the first to go out in a storm, and stays out the longest; then power; then phone, which almost never goes down.) However, I have still had to powercycle my DSL modems on occasion.

Cable is potentially faster, but the speed is less stable, and you're faced with invisible caps -- warning letters, etc., with high usage of your supposedly unlimited service. DSL doesn't have this problem, TTBOMK.

If you can get it, Verizon FiOS is a better service than either.