PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Daemons being killed on logout

f0rmat
January 21st, 2011, 12:39 AM
How do I prevent ubuntu from killing my server daemons on user logout. I have the user irc which I run Unrealircd on but unfortunately I have to be logged into that user in terminal to keep it running, the moment i exit it loses connection in xchat.

Cheesehead
January 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM
Well, the easy way is to have them started by root upon startup instead of by you upon login.

There are easy ways to do it:
For example, a script in /etc/network/if-up.d
Another example, a command that uses 'sudo -u' to start the process as a different authorized user instead of the logged-in user

There are also complicated ways to do it if you need more control on when/how to start up (like listening for Upstart events or dBus messages).

psusi
January 21st, 2011, 03:41 AM
I don't know what you are running, but if it is killed when you log out, then it isn't a daemon.

f0rmat
January 21st, 2011, 04:18 AM
When I run ./unreal start it does this

adam@archangel:~$ su irc
Password:
irc@archangel:~$ ./Unreal3.2/unreal start
Starting UnrealIRCd
_ _ _ ___________ _____ _
| | | | | |_ _| ___ \/ __ \ | |
| | | |_ __ _ __ ___ __ _| | | | | |_/ /| / \/ __| |
| | | | '_ \| '__/ _ \/ _` | | | | | / | | / _` |
| |_| | | | | | | __/ (_| | |_| |_| |\ \ | \__/\ (_| |
\___/|_| |_|_| \___|\__,_|_|\___/\_| \_| \____/\__,_|
v3.2.8.1
using TRE 0.7.5 (LGPL)
using OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
using zlib 1.2.3.4

* Loading IRCd configuration ..
* Configuration loaded without any problems ..
* Loading tunefile..
* Initializing SSL.
* Dynamic configuration initialized .. booting IRCd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
irc@archangel:~$

and stays running even after returning control but when I run 'exit' command or just close terminal then it ends the process I immediately lose server connection. I don't understand why, I have been using this system for ages on Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop a few times and never had the issue of needing to be logged in to maintain a server

psusi
January 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM
The program is bugged and isn't disconnecting from the terminal.

f0rmat
January 21st, 2011, 04:28 AM
Oh :| ok I'll have to check with the team at Unreal. Thanks for your help :)

f0rmat
January 21st, 2011, 04:52 AM
I just checked in /var/log/syslog and found

Jan 21 03:24:45 archangel ltsp-cluster-accountmanager: Killing user "irc"

is that normal?

warg
January 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM
The program is bugged and isn't disconnecting from the terminal.

Hello, I'm an official supporter of UnrealIRCd and have been for many years. This is the first I've heard of such an issue in the history of UnrealIRCd and I can assure you this is not an UnrealIRCd bug.

@psusi just how much time or effort did you invest in coming to the conclusion this is an UnrealIRCd bug?

I cannot reproduce this issue on Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04, 9.10 or 9.04.

f0rmat
January 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
I did
sudo apt-get remove ltsp-cluster-accountmanager and now it doesn't kill the user started daemon on exit from su

psusi
January 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Werid... ltsp is the linux terminal server project. I've never messed with that.

Still though, if the program forks, disconnects from the tty, and starts a new process group, then it should be no different than any other daemon started at boot time, so that program shouldn't be able to find and kill it.