PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BT ADSL format and install Ubuntu

1cookie
January 20th, 2011, 05:04 PM
hi
I'm thinking about a OS reinstall, using Ubuntu. OK, presently I have:

Old desktop machine with Win Vista installed. I have no Vista disk, so when it's gone, its gone for good.
The system is set up with BT using ADSL, with a wireless router included.
I can access whats called the BT home hub manager through a URL in a web browser, this gives me all specific information with regards to getting online, router etc...

My main concerns are:

If i do a complete reinstall (Ubuntu) then will i still be able to configure it all with Ubuntu?

I'm thinking that BT will probably not support Linux platforms hence any software coming from (i.e. disk) them would be in the form of Windows binaries, about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe as far as Linux is concerned.

So, if i take the plunge then; if i can access BT home hub manager through a URI with all pertinent information displayed there - is that all i need to get me up and running?

I mean, reinstall, visit BT home hub manager URI and configure Ubuntu with all settings found there??

:)

henryplumb
January 22nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi 1cookie

I was in the same position as you, I managed to get my BT Total Broadband working through the web interface. I have never used the CD which came with my Home Hub. I just pointed my browser too bthomehub.home and did it all through there. Worked fine for me.

Hope this helps

1cookie
January 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hi 1cookie

Worked fine for me.

Hope this helps

ta. :)

bouncingwilf
January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
If you install Ubuntu, just hook it up to the router (Homehub) via ethernet or wifi and it should work "out of the box" - you do not need ( or probably even want) BT's crap Yahoo software. If you want to configure the router for games etc. you can access the router @ 192.168.1.254, user : admin Password is initially the router S/N (on the router). Any problems - get back to us.

Bouncingwilf

Swagman
January 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
There's a few of us TuXx0rs over on BT's forums.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/bd-p/BBinHome

We're Uber !!

hehe

1cookie
January 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
you do not need ( or probably even want) BT's crap Yahoo software.

Yes, I don't really need dumb software that attempts to make things easier but more often than not is a hinder. I had a feeling that it would be straightforward, but experience is priceless. Thanks for the heads up.:)