PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can a file be added to the Places Menu?

nrundy
January 20th, 2011, 11:04 AM
wondering if it's possible to add a link to a file in the Places Menu? for example a link to a Writer file I use a lot. I see how to add folders, but is it possible to add files?

ronnielsen1
January 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Go to the file in nautilus and choose add bookmark. It should show up in places

nrundy
January 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
This works for folders, but not files. If I go to the file (even open it) the location bar in Nautilus never shows past the folder the file is in. So I can only bookmark the folder--not the file.

nrundy
January 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
This works for folders, but not files. If I go to the file (even open it) the location bar in Nautilus never shows past the folder the file is in. So I can only bookmark the folder--not the file.

Krytarik
January 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wow, that's amazing! You can even add a file to the bookmarks/places. Bookmark the directory where the file is located and then add the filename via "Bookmarks -> Edit Bookmarks...".

Greetings.

nrundy
January 25th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Sweet! Thanks krytarik :)

nrundy
January 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Krytarik, do you know how to REMOVE the following entries from the Places Menu?

Network
Connect to Server...

Krytarik
January 25th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Krytarik, do you know how to REMOVE the following entries from the Places Menu?

Network
Connect to Server...
No, not so far, I would have to search for it also. But I saw such topics somewhere. Search in this forums first.

nrundy
January 25th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I searched for it hard before posting.

If you come across it, I'd appreciate it if you PM me or repost with the link. Thanks.

and thanks again for the File info :)

Krytarik
January 25th, 2011, 02:40 AM
So, how about this?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3196991

PS: Pessulus (post #5 in that thread) doesn't offer an option in that aspect, weirdly.

nrundy
January 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks Krytarik. But the reason I passed on that "solution" was because it states it's a "really bad" thing to do. Plus it's being done from the shell so I can't really see/monitor what's happening. I was worried I would mess something up.

I was hoping there was a simpler way to do it without messing anything up but just removing the entry from the places menu. That is, keeping the function but just not displaying it in the places menu.

Krytarik
January 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
After reading your post, I've also thought about if I want to remove those items. I will probably never use them. But what if I sometime actually establish a network here with my second (even older) computer, having those item removed. Since it is not really a safe solution to remove them, they could actually "respawn" if the respective packages get updated, it would be better to leave them where they are. I don't think there is currently better solution to remove them.

nrundy
January 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
It's too bad you can't just "bookmark" them in and out like other places: this is the solution I am seeking. Not "deleting" them, just removing the display in the Places Menu.

It does look like we are stuck with them for now :)

Krytarik
January 26th, 2011, 06:53 PM
It's too bad you can't just "bookmark" them in and out like other places: this is the solution I am seeking. Not "deleting" them, just removing the display in the Places Menu.
I don't get what you mean!?

Indeed, after trying it again, I noticed that the bookmark doesn't work from Nautilus' bookmarks menu, ironically, but from the Places menu.

nrundy
January 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
???

Not sure what you talkiing about Krytarik :)

What my post was getting at was that I can't "remove" and "add" the Network folder from the places menu like I can other folders. If I could "remove" it, I could always "readd" it later if i wanted. This doesn't seem possible though.

Krytarik
January 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
???

Not sure what you talkiing about Krytarik :)

What my post was getting at was that I can't "remove" and "add" the Network folder from the places menu like I can other folders. If I could "remove" it, I could always "readd" it later if i wanted. This doesn't seem possible though.
Ah, I somewhat thought of something like that, that was the other thread!;-)

EDIT: Now I realised that I got confused because of the different topic, and knowing that you have another thread running regarding the "Network/Connect to Server" topic.