PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Easy way to upgrade from NetInstall to Full?

Messerach
January 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I've been having a lot of trouble getting Ubuntu installed on my new laptop, I've been using these forums for finding various alternatives to installing it, and finally the only one that actually worked was using the UNetbootin NetInstall option which downloads the files as it installs. However this version is extremely limited and is just the bare bones packages and just the terminal w/ no GUI installed or anything else.

I'm wondering if there is a quick way to upgrade this install to a full install, I'm not completely familiar with aptitude and couldn't get it to actually install anything.

Thanks for any help.

tommcd
January 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'm wondering if there is a quick way to upgrade this install to a full install, I'm not completely familiar with aptitude and couldn't get it to actually install anything.

If you want to add the full version of Ubuntu, simply open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
This will give you everything that you would get if you installed from the Ubuntu live CD.

Messerach
January 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much, that was exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Finally got it all installed now, thanks again.

Messerach
January 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you so much, that was exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Finally got it all installed now, thanks again.