PDA

View Full Version : Please explain this behaviour of pointer.

c2tarun
January 20th, 2011, 05:55 AM
int main()
{
int arr[3]={2,3,4};
char *p;
p=(char*)arr;
printf("%d,%d,%d",*p,*(p+1),*(p+2));
}

I am getting the output
I expected the output
Can anyone please explain

worksofcraft
January 20th, 2011, 06:04 AM
int main()
{
int arr[3]={2,3,4};
char *p;
p=(char*)arr;
}

I am getting the output
I expected the output
Can anyone please explain

Well an integer is 4 bytes on my computer, so if you cast the address of an integer into a character pointer I would expect to read 4 bytes (chars) for each integer.

Also it would depend what order your computer stores the bytes of an integer for what order they will come out as:

My computer is an AMD quad core which is based on the x86 intel architecture. They store least significant byte first... so an integer 2 would come out as 2, 0, 0, 0

Try an integer = 0x12345678 and print it in hexadecimal (use %x instead of %d) then you may recognize the bytes

:)

c2tarun
January 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Well an integer is 4 bytes on my computer, so if you cast the address of an integer into a character pointer I would expect to read 4 bytes (chars) for each integer.

Also it would depend what order your computer stores the bytes of an integer for what order they will come out as:

My computer is an AMD quad core which is based on the x86 intel architecture. They store least significant byte first... so an integer 2 would come out as 2, 0, 0, 0

Try an integer = 0x12345678 and print it in hexadecimal (use %x instead of %d) then you may recognize the bytes

:)

I didn't understand what do you mean by that you expected 4 bytes on you computer. Is the 2 in output is not the same in the array?

worksofcraft
January 20th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I didn't understand what do you mean by that you expected 4 bytes on you computer. Is the 2 in output is not the same in the array?

it says

int arr[3] = {2, 3, 4};

so that is three integers. Each int occupies 32bits = 4 bytes on my computer so total an array of 12 bytes.

then it says:

char *p = (char *) arr;

so p is a pointer to a single byte, p+1 points to the next byte, not to the next int

If you want to make p point to ints do it like so:

int main()
{
int arr[3]={2,3,4};
int *p;
p=arr;
}

c2tarun
January 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
it says

int arr[3] = {2, 3, 4};
so that is three integers. Each int occupies 32bits = 4 bytes on my computer.

then it says:

char *p = (char *) arr;
so p is a pointer to a single byte, p+1 points to the next byte, not to the next int

If you want to make p point to ints do it like so:

int main()
{
int arr[3]={2,3,4};
int *p;
p=arr;
}

got it