PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Adding a swap partition to Lubunut 10.04

M_Mynaardt
January 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hi!

First off, I apologize for three attempted and failed attempts at posting here today. I was trying to post my question from my laptop on wireless and everything in forums worked except submitting a thread. I kept getting timed out every time I tried that. Weird...

But I digress...

I have a live/persistent install of Lubuntu 10.04 on a USB-HDD. It's a 320 GB portable hard drive; I've set aside 80 GB for Lubuntu and the rest is partitioned for data storage.

I was being very cautious that I didn't mess up the boot loader for this install, but wasn't paying attention to the fact that Lubuntu does not have a swap partition. I incorrectly assumed it was just part and parcel of selecting ext4 as the file system.

Can someone tell me if it's possible to add a swap partition to this live install of Lubuntu? I'd like to be able to set aside, say 3-4 GB for the swap partition. Without losing any data in the process, of course!

Thanks in advance!

LinUxaliVe
January 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Can someone tell me if it's possible to add a swap partition to this live install of Lubuntu? I'd like to be able to set aside, say 3-4 GB for the swap partition.

Yes, you can resize one of your partitions, and create a swap partition with that space.

Alternatively, you could create a swap file instead. There should be a program that creates swap files for you (use Google).

If I'm not mistaken a few Linuxes will auto-load any swap partitions/files automatically if they are detected. Though you can specify the swap partition in 'fstab' if necessary.

M_Mynaardt
January 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Yes, you can resize one of your partitions, and create a swap partition with that space.

Alternatively, you could create a swap file instead. There should be a program that creates swap files for you (use Google).

If I'm not mistaken a few Linuxes will auto-load any swap partitions/files automatically if they are detected. Though you can specify the swap partition in 'fstab' if necessary.

I check those out, then, thanks!