PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>'

giraffe01
January 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hey all,

I'm an complete new beginner with the Linux platform. I have no experiance with command line. I have only been using Ubuntu for about one week.

Today when booting ubuntu, i'm getting a error.

'error: unknown filesystem.
grub rescue>'

I have no idea what to do, and i don't have a live CD. I installed the OS using a USB.

What do i do?

Thanks.

presence1960
January 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ok so you have a Live USB which for all intents and purposes is the equivalent of a Live CD. We need more info about your set up and boot process.

Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

presence1960
January 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Ok so you have a Live USB which for all intents and purposes is the equivalent of a Live CD. We need more info about your set up and boot process.

Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.