PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04.1 clean install, Explain these partition options

January 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
During the installation, the setup comes to a point where it says I can manually edit my partition table. Can someone explain which each individual option for a linux partition does? The options are:

/
/boot
/home
/tmp
/usr
/var
/srv
/opt
/usr/local

please don't just say "If you don't know what it's for, don't mess with it" or something of that nature. I just want to know what the functions of these individual parts are. If someone could also give a link to documentation that would be great too.

Thanks

presence1960
January 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
for a typical installation you want to set the mount point to " / " for the partition onto which you are installing ubuntu. Without getting technical / is the equivalent of C: in windows speak- it is the root partition.

At the window you want to set the use as (filesystem) and mount point options or your install will not proceed.

presence1960
January 19th, 2011, 11:49 PM
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

randiroo76073
January 20th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Unless you want to use a 1 off partition scheme, the only ones you need to know are:
/ = root or the partition where ubuntu is installed
/home = user files, settings and such

It's a good idea to have separate /(root) and /home partitions as this way if anything happens to root all your settings, bookmarks, personal files are not lost if you do re-install or upgrade.

HTH

January 20th, 2011, 04:07 AM
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

Thanks for telling me what I wanted to know. I appreciate it. What I was looking for is apparently in /sbin.

presence1960
January 20th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks for telling me what I wanted to know. I appreciate it. What I was looking for is apparently in /sbin.

You are welcome. That is how I learned and still continue to learn- others share with me. Pass it on now.