PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some explanation from a certain forum staff

January 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Back in a post asking the difference between different Linux distros, I posted this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10328533#post10328533
Soon after I received a 1-point infraction from staff member howefield for "insulting other member(s)". I promptly sent this staff member a PM requesting an explanation on how that comic strip is an insult to forum members. I have received no response.
Now I cannot find my sent PM. So I cannot be sure that the staff member received the PM (or the message was actually sent).
So here I am. I demand an explanation from howefield as to how that comic strip is an insult to other forum members.
Thank you very much.

January 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
As I somehow cannot edit my post, I'd like to add the following:

Do not see this as denying responsibility, but I did not create that comic strip. It was copied from a blog called Super User (which is about Linux in the first place).
And I demand an explanation because I seriously do not see how it can be insulting. There isn't even profanity. Please do not see this as a request to annul that infraction: that is not my goal. My goal is to understand, in detail, what is considered inappropriate here so I will not post anything similar in the future. I downright admit, I have no common sense.

January 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Do not see this as denying responsibility, but I did not create that comic strip. It was copied from a blog called Super User (which is about Linux in the first place).
And I demand an explanation because I seriously do not see how it can be insulting. There isn't even profanity. Please do not see this as a request to annul that infraction: that is not my goal. My goal is to understand, in detail, what is considered inappropriate here so I will not post anything similar in the future. I downright admit, I have no common sense.

January 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM

CharlesA
January 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
For the admins: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1662558

CharlesA
January 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
For the admins: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1662558

bodhi.zazen
January 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
First, please keep in mind we are all volunteers. I am sorry you disagree with the infraction, but that is no excuse to post is such an aggressive and demanding tone.

Second, the resolution center is for discussion between you and the administrators, moderators are normally not allowed to post here.

Now, as to the infraction, I do not see a link to the "comic strip".

Would you please post a link for our review ?

bapoumba
January 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The comic was not very kind to anyone reading, condescending, and making broad generalizations that can be seen as insults. We try to be inclusive, not exclusive, please refrain from posting these here. As you pointed out, there are other places where this kind of humor is appreciated.
I support the actions taken.

bapoumba
January 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
The comic was not very kind to anyone reading, condescending, and making broad generalizations that can be seen as insults. We try to be inclusive, not exclusive, please refrain from posting these here. As you pointed out, there are other places where this kind of humor is appreciated.
I support the actions taken.

bodhi.zazen
January 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
After reviewing the post (I had adblock enabled) I agree, the comic was inappropriate for these forums for the reasons stated by bapoumba.

I also support the actions of the staff.

January 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Alright. If there is a tone in my post(s), I am sorry for that. I am sorry that I did not pick it up, but please allow me to say that I write exactly as I talk (what I wrote is basically what I would speak out loud) and it is difficult to put actual tones on paper (or screen).
That said. Thank you for your explanation, bapoumba.

bapoumba
January 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
You are welcome.
Please remember you are not in private with a bunch of friends. People from many different backgrounds gather here from all over the world :)

January 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM
All over the world indeed. I thank you again for your explanation and I shall really think about what I am going to post (this is an issue for me in several different forums).
On an unrelated side note, parlez-vous le franšais?