View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I uninstall Ununtu

January 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM

I took delivery of a new pc today and in my haste installed Ubuntu as the main operating system instead of Window7. I am now having great difficulty in trying to install Windows7 and would much rather prefer to remove Ununtu completely and then install it after Windows 7.

Can anyone please advise how this can be done.

Regards. Pari.

January 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM

There should be an option for you on Windows 7 to wipe the hard drive and overwrite any OS installed. If not then you can run from a live usb of Ubuntu and use Gparted to reformat your hard drive.

January 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the response. Are you saying I need to insert the DVD with Ubuntu and then download that other application?

Sorry not at all technical!

Regards. Pari

January 19th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the response. Are you saying I need to insert the DVD with Ubuntu and then download that other application?

Sorry not at all technical!

Regards. Pari

No need to download anything, the live cd/dvd will have gparted on it. Open the main menu and navigate to System/Administration, look for "gparted partition editor" Then format your drive as you want. Post back if you need further help.

January 19th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the reply,

On the main menu within Ubuntu on my PC, although there is an admin folder it does not appear to have that particular program.

Could it be on the actual CD?

Also when I put the CD back in, it does actually give the option to partition the drive but I have done this and left a partition for NTFS but on reboot the PC is not picking up the Windows CD, although it according to the boot sequence it should be the first file it picks up.

Thanks for your help in this matter. Pari.

January 19th, 2011, 11:34 PM
You need to boot the Live CD and choose try ubuntu. When the desktop loads go System > Administration > Gparted Partition Editor to format your disk.

You really don't have to remove a perfectly good ubuntu installation to install windows. How are you trying to install windows and what is the problem(s) encountered?

January 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I have mananaged to create partition 800GB for NTFS using the above method. I also choose to boot up with CD but instead of the actual CD running, after a brief pause Ubuntu starts to load.

Also I have tried to copy Windows7 onto the harddrive (NTFS partition) and the exe does not work.

January 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM
have you checked your BIOS if the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot option? Maybe you need to press ESC, F10 or F11 to access the boot menu. You should be able to see on the screen the function key to press to access the boot menu when you first turn it on.

Is your Windows 7 CD damaged? maybe it can't be read properly.

January 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Depending on your system at startup there should be an option somewhere on the screen which says
'boot device' or words to that effect.
Press the button for this, and select the cd/dvd drive. If it shows multiple drives, select the branded drive.
You do not have to remove ubuntu if you want to keep using it later. You can select your default OS without having to uninstall it, I would recommend that you do this rather than taking it all off and on again.

January 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Double post.

January 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
2nd Double post - forum troubles.