PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] main, system, places menus missing

geo316
January 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have 11.04 installed, Gnome 2.32.0 - life has been good until I responded as normal to the update manager this morning. Upon reboot noticed my main menu, system menu and places menu are gone. Other icons and stuff like power button remain on the top toolbar but again, no menus.

Googling around I found solutions that were years old and/or did not work for me (like installing XFCE - which did nothing).

Is there any help for this?

G

plucky
January 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have 11.04 installed, Gnome 2.32.0 - life has been good until I responded as normal to the update manager this morning. Upon reboot noticed my main menu, system menu and places menu are gone. Other icons and stuff like power button remain on the top toolbar but again, no menus.

Googling around I found solutions that were years old and/or did not work for me (like installing XFCE - which did nothing).

Is there any help for this?

G

There is Natty Narwhal Testing and Discussion Forum where you should ask any questions related 11.04.That is where all the testers hang out.

See Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394)

As for your problem,Right click on the top panel and select Add to Panel.

In the window that opens,find and select Menu Bar and ADD.

Good Luck

azmand01
January 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hey, i have been having similar problems.This is what I did.

I reinstalled all apps-menus by:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
gnome-panel

Also creating another user will recover for that user the original panels, but i find out that the app switch-user or something like that crashes all the time. I never reinstalled and it seems my problems went away.

Good luck.

azmand01
January 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM

gnome-panel

Also creating another user will recover for that user the original panels, but i find out that the app switch-user or something like that crashes all the time. I never reinstalled and it seems my problems went away.

Good luck.

azmand01
January 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM

gnome-panel

Good luck.

azmand01
January 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM

gnome-panel

Good luck.

geo316
January 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Plucky - that did it... interesting how I'm always braced for something long and technical to solve my issue... what a refreshing experience! Thx