PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microsoft MN 700 router issues

DHart07
January 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have an old router, a Microsoft MN 700. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why my internet connections, both wired and wireless work on the live cd but not once I do a full install. I decided to try connecting straight to my modem and bypassing my router and I finally got an active connection.

My wireless problem is that I can see all of the connections in my area, but I can't connect to my own with or without security. How many of my problems are related directly to my router? Is there a workaround this? I really don't feel keen on opening it up and doing a hardware hack like I have found online. How else can I get my wireless to work?

mips
January 19th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Have you tried updating the routers firmware.

arubislander
January 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I have an old router, a Microsoft MN 700. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why my internet connections, both wired and wireless work on the live cd but not once I do a full install.

The fact that your router works on the Live CD but not once installed is puzzling, but proves that the issue is configuration and not your router... maybe some one else can help you sort the configuration issue though...

DHart07
January 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have no idea as to why it works on the live cd but not after the install. I can connect at school and that is much more troublesome than connecting at home. I don't understand why being hardwired through my router doesn't work, but skipping the router and going straight to the modem does. Anyone have any ideas??

sfdrew
February 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I am having the same problem. I have an rtl8192se wireless card in my machine. Everything else in my house connects to the router just fine, even with various versions of Ubuntu. My netbook, my wife's computer, game consoles, everything by my Toshiba (which seems really Linux unfriendly).

I managed to get it working on 10.04, but now that I've upgraded to 12.04 (begrudgingly I might add), I can't get it to work. If I do find a solution that works for me, I'll be sure to share it though.