PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems on installling ubuntu 10.04 to USB stick..

Guitar-maniac
January 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I tried installing ubuntu 10.04 to 8g Kingston stick witn usb-creator as suggested by the ubuntu wiki. It just stopped in about 15%, terminal didn't say any error, just went back to the mode when you can write in it.

I tried with another stick but the same thing happened, i installed them both from 10,04 livecd. After that i tried unetbootin, it downloaded the 10,04Live iso and that (seemed to) went through, rebooted my pc and switched removable as a boot device from bios. After the boot my pc just said Boot error.
There was no other usb stick on my computer atm, and i checked from BIOS the removable boot order, and there was only one visible so it had to be that one.

C.S.Cameron
January 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Sometimes in BIOS the flash drive just shows up as another hard drive, in which case it should be made the first hard drive.

Skaperen
January 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I've had periodic problems with USB memory sticks being the install target on my ASUS EeePC. Maybe it is because I had also booted the installer from another USB memory stick (e.g. there are two of them plugged in). I have not had the problem installing to an SDHC card, though (a 16GB one).

jimmers
January 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Try this tutorial

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }a:link { } I was reading How to install Ubuntu Linux from USB Stick (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html) posted on this site a while ago, and found it to be quite some work to get Ubuntu working on a USB stick. Besides, having to prepare your USB device, creating a separate partition on it which will be more or less “useless” after the installation, giving up 750MB of space?
There had to be a better way.
Together with a colleague of mine, I decided to figure out whether there could be an easier way to install Ubuntu on a USB device.
I found a way of doing it in a much simpler way… without creating the separate partition to store the LiveCD:
A couple of assumptions to take into account when going through this manual:

My computer (Dell D820 laptop (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/a-much-easier-way-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-usb-device-stick-or-hd.html#)) has 1 internal disk, devided into 3 partitions (dell utility - windows - Ubuntu 8.04)
Just one USB device (in my case a 250GB harddisk
BIOS configured to enable boot from internal HDD, CD/DVD and USB Storage (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/a-much-easier-way-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-usb-device-stick-or-hd.html#) device

(I didn’t take screenshots, so I will be explaining a lot about the screens… It looks like a lot of work, but trust me: it is not, and it really is easy:-)

Insert the LiveCD into your computer;
Connect your USB device;
Boot your computer from the liveCD;
Once Ubuntu is started, go to System - Administration - Partition Manager
This will open the Partion Editor. Select your USB device and delete all partitions on it. Click Apply and exit Partition Editor;
Double Click the Install Icon. This will start the Installer;
The Welcome Screen is shown. Choose your language and click Forward;
Select your Time Zone and click Forward;
Choose your Keyboard Layout and click Forward;
The partitioner will be started, and you will be given the choice where to install Ubuntu. Choose Guided - Use entire disk, selecting your USB device (this will most likely be /dev/sdb, don’t choose /dev/sdb1!);
The next sceen you will give your username/password information. Provide the required info and hit Forward;
If there is anything to migrate from other installations on your computer (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/a-much-easier-way-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-usb-device-stick-or-hd.html#) (most likely not), do whatever you want, and click Forward;
The next screen is important - It is titled: “Ready to Install”. Be careful here: before clicking on Forward, make sure you click on the “Advanced” Button!
This will open a new screen, giving you the option whether and where to install the bootloader. Select your USB device (in my case it was /dev/sdb) to install the bootloader to;
Exit this screen and click on Forward in the “Ready to Install” screen, which will be shown;
The installation will be started now. Just be patient, grab a cup of coffee and come back 15 minutes later, your installation will be more or less finished by then.

I guess that is it. If I missed something, please comment.
Regards,