PDA

View Full Version : Numbers refuse to negate...(Python)

grantbdev
January 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM
So I made a program in Python to find the circumcenter (the point of concurrency where all perpendicular bisectors of a triangle's sides intersect) and it has worked pretty well for me so far in most cases. Yet for some reason, when it goes through one of the possible outcomes I cannot get it to negate the numbers (num * -1)yet I can negate numbers most of the time and in other programs.

Code: http://paste.ubuntu.com/555599/

Points I'm using that it won't work:
Point A (-4,0)
Point B (0, 4)
Point C (4, 0)

I'm really hoping this is an obvious mistake that I just couldn't see :p

Vox754
January 19th, 2011, 02:26 AM
So I made a program in Python to find the circumcenter (the point of concurrency where all perpendicular bisectors of a triangle's sides intersect) and it has worked pretty well for me so far in most cases. ...

I'm really hoping this is an obvious mistake that I just couldn't see :p

Code this small you can post it here in the forum instead of having to use a pastebin. Use "code" tags:

if slopeABy and slopeABx < 0:
slopeABy * -1
slopeABx * -1
midABx2 = midABx + slopeABy
midABy2 = midABy + slopeABx

The variables "slopeABy" and "slopeABx" are indeed negated, but the results are not stored back into variables.

slopeABy = slopeABy * -1
slopeABx = slopeABx * -1

grantbdev
January 19th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Code this small you can post it here in the forum instead of having to use a pastebin. Use "code" tags:

slopeABy * -1
slopeABx * -1

The variables "slopeABy" and "slopeABx" are indeed negated, but the results are not stored back into variables.

slopeABy = slopeABy * -1
slopeABx = slopeABx * -1

Oh wow, thank you. It was a dumb mistake indeed. I've fixed several errors including those. I will keep running through triangles until it's reliable! :)