PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Broadcom Wireless problems after kernel update

Pablo W
January 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have a HP Mini 5105 SSD netbook, runing Ubuntu 10.10 with 2Gb RAM. My wireless card is a Broadcom BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n. Its driver is enabled and running. The wired network connection runs fine too.

The problem:
Wireless stopped working. When I right click on the network icon, the “enable network” option is clicked, but the "enable wireless" option is listed in dark grey and cannot be clicked on. I have recently updated my kernel version to 2.6.35-24-generic.

What I have already tried:
Thanks to this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10312711&postcount=5) and this one too (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1653568&page=3) I got to know there seems to be a problem with the 2.6.35-24-generic kernel. I have gone into the GRUB menu (it took some time to find out that you have to keep the Shift key pressed during startup for the GRUB menu to show), chosen the older kernel version (2.6.35-23-generic) and then removed the faulty one. Nevertheless, nothing has changed. I still cannot enable the wireless.

The outcome to lshw -C network is:

pablo@pablo-netbook:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 00:26:82:38:d8:61
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.60.48.36 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:16 memory:e8000000-e8003fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:20:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 18:a9:05:93:3b:86
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.28 firmware=N/A latency=0 multicast=yes
resources: irq:44 memory:e0000000-e0003fff ioport:2000(size=256) memory:7fc00000-7fc1ffff
pablo@pablo-netbook:~$

I’m sorry to say I am a newbie who can hardly understand other than plain language instructions. Any help will be appreciated.

Pablo W
January 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hello... is there anybody out there being able to provide some kind of help on this please?

Pablo W
January 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
While waiting for a kind expert soul able to help me, I have made some progress. Apparently Ubuntu 10.10 has an outdated driver for the Broadcom BCM43224 card (version 5.60.48.36). The updated driver is available from the Broadcom website here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php (by the time I'm posting this, the driver version there is version 5.100.82.38 ).

I have already downloaded the new 32 bit driver. So, my question now is: how do I replace the older driver with the new one?

Thanks.

Pablo W
January 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
This post was a duplicated of the previous one.

TBABill
January 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Before installing the new driver, it's possible the old works just fine and an update borked its use temporarily. Can you post the output of
sudo rfkill list and if you see either SOFT or HARD blocked maked as YES, then
sudo rfkill unblock all This may not be your issue, but an easy check.

TBABill
January 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Before installing the new driver, it's possible the old works just fine and an update borked its use temporarily. Can you post the output of

TBABill
January 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Pablo W
January 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks, TBABill.
Here is the outcome of the first one

pablo@pablo-netbook:~$ sudo rfkill list
[sudo] password for pablo:
0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
pablo@pablo-netbook:~$

When I type
sudo rfkill unblock all nothing happens.

Pablo W
January 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi again.
Just to say that, embarrassingly enough, just pulling from the wireless front switch brought wireless back. I should probably have tried that first.

Because of the design of the wireless button, it is almost impossible to accidentally switch wireless on (or off). I wonder whether the card was switched off by a software update.

I will keep reporting in case of new events. Thanks for your help.