PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how long Installation from USB gonna take ? Ubuntu 10.10

jaquline.phoenix
January 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hi All,

I have downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 iso and created a bootable USB from it. After satisfactory live session i am trying to install it using "Install Ubuntu 10.10" option shown on desktop. The installation started properly detected that :

1. atleast 2.6GB drive space is available
2. is plugged to a power source
3. is connected to internet.

Since last two days it is running and downloading content from internet. verified using network monitor tool. In two days it has downloaded 527 MB.

My questions are:

1. what is size of download which is required for successful download ?
2. I got pretty descent broadband connection (indian standard :(). can download 700 MB movie in 3 hours), but why it is not using full bandwidth and downloading content at average speed of 5KBPS. However if i download some content from browser directly than speed is normal aroun 60 KBPS.

So how long I need to wait to complete the installation ? Should I suspend this installation and install from CD ?

Please assist.
Phoenix

Quackers
January 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
So you're attempting to install 10.10 and you are at the stage of downloading updates? The updates shouldn't be much more than 200MB as far as I'm aware, and maybe not even that.
527MB is way too much for updates. It almost seems that you are downloading the iso file again!

mc4man
January 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I haven't installed 10.10 from a usb in quite a while but typically here a usb installation takes about 10 min or so.

If there is an option to download updates while installing then don't enable it, just install as is on the usb .iso and update later
(I no longer even enable internet while installing, seems to go faster.