PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dead ethernet adapted

alexbj
January 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm fairly new to Ubuntu.

I'm running 10.10 on an integrated mini-ITX board, the Asus at3iont-i deluxe. On my first install, everything worked out of the box, and I was able to setup all I wanted, with valuable help from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1458300 .

For various reasons, I did a complete reinstall of 10.10, and after that my onboard Ethernet adapter is completely unresponsive. When I plug it in, the little light on the router does not indicate a connection (but it does if I put my laptop on the same cable).

The Gnome NetworkManager does not show a connection. I'm not sure what to check, but
lspci | grep Ethernet yields

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
Also,
ifconfig gives
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 20:cf:30:bb:67:87
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:43 Base address:0xe000

and both
ifdown eth0 and
ifup eth0 give error messages about eth0 being unknown or not configured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, the onboard wlan works fine.

anubhavrocks
January 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Can you post the output of:

/etc/network/interfaces

schalkefan
January 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
hello alexbj,

have you looked up /etc/network/interfaces ?
i believe the "ifconfig /-up/-down" program uses this file to check for interfaces and decide which to start up on booting.

i think it should have an entry like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

hope it helps.

regards.

alexbj
January 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

cat /etc/network/interfaces
only yields

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

but I get the same output on my laptop, where the ethernet adapter is working fine, so I'm guessing this is not so relevant. Thanks though.

alexbj
January 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
hello alexbj,

have you looked up /etc/network/interfaces ?
i believe the "ifconfig /-up/-down" program uses this file to check for interfaces and decide which to start up on booting.

i think it should have an entry like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

hope it helps.

regards.

Adding the suggested lines to /etc/network/interfaces seems to have as only effect that the Gnome NetworkManager says "device not managed" instead of "not connected" under Wired Network. So I removed these lines again.

alexbj
January 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM

/etc/network/interfaces

Do you think I should modify this file in some other manner to force the activation of the ethernet adapter?

Cheers
Alex

alexbj
January 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM

/etc/network/interfaces

Do you think I should modify this file in some other manner to force the activation of the ethernet adapter?

Cheers
Alex

EDIT: sorry about the double posting... didn't realize the first one had worked.
Alex

alexbj
January 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

Found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1525455, and its solution worked!

Strange though, cause the card has never been anywhere near a windows installation, and as far as I can remember I've never put it to sleep from Ubuntu either.

So, it turned out the card was not dead, it was merely in a "deep sleep". Thanks for the help.