PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Nvidia no TTY

aceralex
January 18th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hi all,
i am running ubuntu 10.10 with awesome and gnome (gnome for testing reason). I have the problem that i can't change from my Windowmanager (Awesome + Gnome , both are affected by this problem) to any tty (Displaymanger Slim). All tty's are listed on /dev as they should.
A change to any tty cause all sound (pulseaudio) to stop till i change back to wm (alt + ctrl + f7) and then when i hit return slim crashes. Sometimes then i see a lot of black squares in screen and blinking cursor (i guess from tty in background). I am using slim as displaymanager.

I also tried gdm with a different behaviour regarding that problem:
In gdm i am able to switch to tty but when i watch flash in fullscreen and switch of fullscreen the last movieframe is freezed on some parts of the windowmanager's gui (desktop, panel etc).

I figured out, that booting in single user mode (grub -> single) fixes the strange behaviour. This strange behaviour is hard to describe, i hope anyone has a similar problem/experience.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
Additional Information:
------------------------------
System: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit kernel 2.6.35-24-generic
GFX Card Nvidia GT 430
GFX Driver nvidia-current 260.19.06

Grub legacy (for Dual Boot/Crypt reason)
/boot/grub/menu.lst:

[...]
title Ubuntu 10.10, kernel 2.6.35-24-generic uuid bbff97c3-dbf0-4195-9638-a9e32e976dcd
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35-24-generic root=UUID=16564a52-bc0f-4603-bff4-3520866e4585 ro quiet splash initrd
/initrd.img-2.6.35-24-generic quiet

aceralex
January 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
The following Screenshot attached shows the Problem after using the flashplugin in my browser. The black area, showing the flash movies's last picture remains after closing the flashplayer. In a screenshot via scrot it doesnt appear, so i took a photo of my screen.

Krytarik
January 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Check the behaviour if you run the default open source driver for Nvidia devices instead of the proprietary one, by replacing "nvidia" with "nv" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. How did you install the driver, via "Additional Drivers" or in another way?

aceralex
January 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
hi,
i installes the "original" nvidia drivers via apt-get install nvidia-current.

cheers.

Krytarik
January 23rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
hi,
i installes the "original" nvidia drivers via apt-get install nvidia-current.

cheers.
Ok, that explains some! Switch to the "nv" driver as mentioned.
Then remove that package with:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-current
Then install it again via "System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers", which will pull in some other packages.

After that, and hopefully a successful reboot, save the configuration to the "xorg.conf":
- go to "System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings"
- click at "X Server Display Configuration" on the left side
- check/choose your desired configuration
- click at "Save to X Configuration File"
- enter your "root"-password when asked
- choose replace, not merge!

aceralex
January 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
ok, but i need 3d acceleration, does it works with the nv driver?

Krytarik
January 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
ok, but i need 3d acceleration, does it works with the nv driver?

Nope, that's why you to do the other steps as well.;)

aceralex
January 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
okay thanx, now i got it :D
i will try and post my experience with that

aceralex
January 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM
ok, i was able to fix closely everything. after following your instruction, xserver failed to start with various errorlogs. the i installed the latest nvidia-driver from ubuntu-x-swat. that did it, now i am able to use my tty's and everything's fine except *surprise' flash !

But the reason for that failing is flash itself because of its failing ..... time for webm xD

just for your amusement, the latest behaviour of flash :popcorn:

thanx for your help and inspiration, krytarik 8)

Krytarik
January 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah, Flash definetely sucks, it's overly heavy CPU-consuming. I tend to give Apple right to not supporting it. Although I don't have such a mess like you in the screenshot. You may try those guide, altough it doesn't work for me, maybe because I've a bit old hardware setup:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645908

aceralex
January 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
hi,

good news, flashplayer 10.1.102.65 sucks a bit less, it works as you can call flash working, no burned frames and blacksquares anymore.

greets, aceralex

Krytarik
January 30th, 2011, 01:29 AM
hi,

good news, flashplayer 10.1.102.65 sucks a bit less, it works as you can call flash working, no burned frames and blacksquares anymore.

greets, aceralex
Oh, I already had those version, I assumed that you also had the most recent updates.
I checked the log of apt, it has been installed exactly at 2010-11-19 at my machine.[-X ;)

If you want to mark this thread as "solved", do it via "Thread Tools", thanks.

aceralex
January 30th, 2011, 08:12 PM
krytarik wrote:
Oh, I already had those version, I assumed that you also had the most recent updates.
I checked the log of apt, it has been installed exactly at 2010-11-19 at my machine.[-X :wink:Hmm thats strange i update my system usually at least once a week, so i assumes to have the latest version already, but maybe its because of my amd64 ubuntu.

cheers, aceralex

Krytarik
January 31st, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hmm thats strange i update my system usually at least once a week, so i assumes to have the latest version already, but maybe its because of my amd64 ubuntu.

That makes indeed totally sense, I didin't take that into account, Adobe's development of the 64-bit Flash plugin is lagging behind those of its 32-bit version.

That also explains the major difference of its performance between your and my machine.

Adobe states to have a preview version here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html . I only get 32-bit versions displayed there, I suppose because my browser reports itself at 32-bit.

If that URL doesn't work for you also, here is another one, same version:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adobe-Flash-Player-for-Linux/964714156/4

This should provide a considerable performance increase, because of its native 64-bit support.

The version you are currently getting through the repo is imo just a port to 64-bit.