PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Feedback Please

tegeland
January 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I am putting together a system and would like to use the Ubunto OS, (I have never used it before), but in my research it seems this may not actually work well, or at all, and I may be stuck with buying another copy of windows. This will be a clean build and Ubunto will be the only OS on the system. Below I will post the specs of what I will be putting together. Please note, I am aware most of this hardware is 4-5 yrs old, it is all brand new in the box, it has been sitting in my closet for that long waiting for me to put it together.

Mother Board: Biostar TF560 A2+ (64bit)
**Has onboard NVIDIA Nforce/560 for NVRAID software support up to RAID 5

Processor: AMD 64, Athalonx2, (dual core 64bit, socket AM2)

Power Supply: Turbo-Cool, 850-SSI (850W)

Hard Drive(x2): Samsung F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (to be set in RAID 0 Configuration

Video Card: HIS H567Q1GD, Radeon HD5670, PCI Express bus, 1GB DDR5. Directx 11

CD/DVD Read write Drives: Not purchased yet

Audio Card: Not purchased yet

RAM: Mushkin enhanced 240 pin DIMM unbuffered DDR2 800 SDRAM (pc6400) 2GBx4=8GB

I have downloaded the alternate Ubuntu 10.10 on a win7 ultimate OS and will burn it to iso from that sys.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I said above I would like to get away from windows, but I don't need to waste a lot of time and possibly money just to find out this can't be done.

Thanks

Frogs Hair
January 18th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Looks fine but I have no experience with ATI on Linux.
Asus AM2 +
Athlon X II 2.8 ghz
Kingston 1066 DDR 2
Nvidia
WD 500 gb hdd
Ultra 750 PSU

Quackers
January 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Boot the live cd/usb and select "try ubuntu" and see if everything works first.

tegeland
January 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
So,
I shouldn't have any problems with the raid? (fake raid as it is being called)
I have been reading forums and info sites for days and my big concerns are the raid setup and the drivers to power a dx 11 card.
Also, do you know any good posts or sites which thoroughly cover the initial install?
Right now I am under the impression I simply put the pieces together, insert the alternate iso cd and the rest should be self explanatory through onscreen options, but I have never installed linux anything, only windows

Quackers
January 18th, 2011, 12:36 AM
It is possible to install with raid, but it is a more involved process. I had raid on my laptop, but I chose to go to non-raid, before I installed Ubuntu. There was no appreciable performance hit after the change. You would need to delete the raid metadata from the hard drives before installation though. Simple enough from the live cd desktop.