PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't log on to Ubuntu 10.10 Server edituib desktop...

acompay
January 17th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hello There,
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 Server Edition. When I log in I only get the username and password login. I input that info I get the user@user waiting for me to enter new commands. What can I do to leave the shell and open up the desktop?
Regards,

ajgreeny
January 17th, 2011, 10:59 PM
The server edition doesn't have a desktop environment to boot into, so unless you add one manually with
sudo apt-get install <package> you will have to make do with the command line.

There are many desktops to chose from, but for a server I suggest you go for one of the smaller faster ones, eg, fluxbox. If you really want the gnome desktop you can add it, or even the full ubuntu-desktop package if you must, but if it's really just a server, you really shouldn't need a DE.

acompay
January 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
The server edition doesn't have a desktop environment to boot into, so unless you add one manually with
sudo apt-get install <package> you will have to make do with the command line.

There are many desktops to chose from, but for a server I suggest you go for one of the smaller faster ones, eg, fluxbox. If you really want the gnome desktop you can add it, or even the full ubuntu-desktop package if you must, but if it's really just a server, you really shouldn't need a DE.

Thank you for your reply. I really want the server to install Joomla using Putty from Windows 7. But I thought that might be certaing tasks that could be simpler to solve with the server desktop. Thanks!