PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Format Harddrive with GRUB installed

rypicken
January 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Upon installation of Ubuntu a while back, i was using a windows xp machine with two different harddrives. Instead of formatting the xp drive and installing Linux, i decided to install Linux on the secondary harddrive. This worked all fine and dandy until recent, when I have found my linux drive filling up near capacity. I would like to format the XP harddrive and mount it in linux to give some more disk space. The problem i have found, is that the XP drive is the drive with GRUB. Any advice on how this could be done without TOO much troubles.

Thanks in advance.

dabl
January 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'll take a stab at it ... I'll stay high level, and see if you need more details.

First, review the guidance on installing/reinstalling Grub. It's not that difficult -- here's what a guy wrote on Kubuntu Forums -- just scroll to Section 4: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3106368.0

So, use GParted, highlight the partition on the XP drive, right-click it and change the filesystem to ext4, and "Apply".

Make a mount point, recommended location for hard drive partitions is /mnt.

Example:
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/NEWSTUFF

Next, you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to change whatever the mount line for XP says. Use "mount by-uuid", and you can find the UUID for the new filesystem with the "blkid" command. Use "mount -a" to mount it, and "mount" to verify that it mounts correctly.

Finally, use the guidance to install grub wherever you want it.

oldfred
January 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Which drive you use to boot is a separate question from using/formating a drive. You can entirely format your windows drive and grub will not change since the MBR is separate from the partitions. But I always recommend that you boot from the same drive as the system install. After reinstalling grub to sdb, change BIOS to boot that drive.

reinstall from working (not liveCD) system - first find Ubuntu drive:
sudo fdisk -l
if it's "/dev/sdb" then just run:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
If that returns any errors run:
sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb
sudo update-grub
to get grub to remember where to reinstall on updates:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions
To see what drive is uses:
sudo debconf-show grub-pc

rypicken
January 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you all!